Author Topic: Where are you?  (Read 10766 times)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Where are you?
« on: March 20, 2016, 02:03:54 PM »
Ages ago I suggested it would be nice to know where forumites live/are from, partly because it's just interesting to see how widespread our group is, and partly because that might show where particular words are considered common or rare.  For those concerned about privacy, it could be just the name of a town/city, or as general as "outside but near Paris."

Quite a few forumites did add their locations, but we have many new people who may not have done so but might like to.

I figured I'd post in this thread in hopes that some of our new forum mates will see it and add their locations under their photos.  CB gave some good instructions on how to do it in an earlier post.

Quote from: cb on January 25, 2011, 05:36:02 AM

To move your location: Click on Profile (dark blue bar above the messages, 4th item in from the left).  On the new window, at the left hand side, find Modify Profile.  Click on the 2nd entry Forum Profile Information. 

To upload a pic:  Choose "I will upload my own picture" then use the browse... button to find that picture on your computer.  Alternatively, if you want to use one you already have on the web somewhere, use "I have my own pic" and type in the website address of the pic.

Then in Personal Text type in your location information - this will then show under your picture.

Now click Change Profile at the very bottom of the screen so save the changes you have made.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 02:06:29 PM by birdy »

Les303

Re: Where are you?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 03:21:51 PM »
Buggar ... now i don't have any excuse for not uploading a pic.
But seriously Birdy ,thanks for all that info , very helpful for us new forumites. {been called many things over the years but forumite is definitely a new one }
Also thanks for capturing what i was trying to say in a post the other day about people showing their locations.
You've explained it much better than i was able to & yes i also find it very interesting to see the locations of our fellow players from all around the world & just as surprising to see that some are just around the corner...Thanks Les

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 08:30:33 PM »
'Buggar' - is that how you spell it, Les, or was it a typo? Whatever, it would seem that you prefer it to 'rats' (see other thread)!  >:D (Both are used in the UK. Plus less refained (sic) words.)

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 10:48:52 PM »
I'm particularly interested in those with whom we are playing whose first language is not English, and do not live in an English speaking country.

Ich glaube Hannes44 ist Österreicher,
et Hano Nihm - Olivier est Français.

¿Pero no hay hablantes de Español?

And as for 'Buggar', I would think we use it for something that's worse than 'Bugger'. More emphasis on the last syllable.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 10:56:21 PM by yelnats »

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 03:10:56 AM »
Buggar ... now i don't have any excuse for not uploading a pic.

And a very handsome forumite (Chihuahuan?) you are, Les, judging by that picture!

Melba

• Neophyte
  • Mayfield (NSW), Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 12:44:16 PM »
When I added my location details to my profile (on the main game site) I made sure I identified my home country...Georgetown (Newcastle), Australia is not very well known, but Georgetown in Washington DC is so I didn't want there to be any confusion.

(And I am using this post to make sure that I have correctly followed the instructions Birdy shared  ;D)
And I thought I was playing Chi just for the words.

Les303

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 04:05:10 PM »
Yes i did misspell it as the definition of the word when spelt correctly with an "er " & used in another context is to say the least not very pleasant.
Hopefully not getting myself into more strife here but i would like to list some other examples of how we use this same word to have a variety of different meanings, none of which have any sexual overtone or , at least in my neck of the woods , are not considered to be at all offensive.
bugger up - make a mistake , bugger off - go away , little bugger - child or someone of small stature , bugger all - nothing , bugger about - muck around , bugger me - unexpected , i'm buggered - tired , bugger me dead - totally unexpected.

There are many others but like any phrase , it is more about the tone & context as any phrase or word can be made to sound offensive or rude when used inappropriately.
I'm quickly realising that these phrases & slang words might be ok when spoken in a humorous manner between friends & locals , however once transferred to print or email where tone & context can be difficult to convey then they can easily be misinterpreted in many different ways to unintentionally cause offence.

Regards Les

Les303

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 05:45:00 PM »
Finally , my last thoughts on this subject would be to relate that several years ago in Australia (don't know where else it may have been broadcast ) there was a series of television advertisements that featured the word " bugger ". (don't know if that's how the script writers spelt it ). I think it may have been for an insurance company.
Anyway the series of ads were very popular as viewers found them quite amusing & they ran for some time with many different scenario's that all led to a very damaged motor car / bike / caravan etc...
Obviously these ads would have been approved by the censors & the networks would not have continued to run them if viewers had made complaints about  THE WORD being used.
A typical scenario would be the driver returning to his vehicle , parked at the top of a hill only to see it quickly descending down the incline on a direct course to the lake below.
Camera zooms in to the unused handbrake & then to the shocked driver who only says one word "bugger " as the camera cuts back to the car to show it sinking into the lake.
Around this time there was a proliferation of the use of THE WORD & i suspect that is how some of the derivatives that i listed previously may have been created although i know for a fact that most of them go back for generations & these ads simply led to their revival.
By the way Melba , nice pic......All the best Les

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 08:07:45 PM »
Is this one of them, Les? It's hilarious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RfAYnCxkK0

Les303

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 08:49:13 PM »
Thank you so much Pat , that is exactly one of the ads in the series that i was referring to . although i didn't remember it very well (TRex , your not the only one with a bit of dementia )  i just fail to see how anyone could find that ad offensive..ergo any ongoing use of the word.

Are you perhaps , secretly a witch /wizard or maybe a descendant of Merlin ? .. remember this computer stuff is all new to me ...i'm just so amazed that firstly you were able to find that ad & then to be able to send me the link to view it ..just brilliant , just MAGIC..You've been able to explain in one post what i'm all about & i really appreciate that..thanks again Les

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 06:40:23 AM »
Boy, that made me laugh, Pat.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 07:18:20 AM »
I love your enthusiasm, Les. I can quite see how computer stuff seems like magic to someone who's new to it.

You can find just about anything on the internet just by searching with a few relevant words. You mentioned an advert that featured a car and the word 'bugger': all I did was enter "Australian advert car bugger" (without the quotation marks) into Google and the returned results contained the Youtube link that I posted plus several others. Easy-peasy.

Les303

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 11:03:06 AM »
Cool..i'll give it a go ..thanks les

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 12:22:09 PM »
.. remember this computer stuff is all new to me ...

Les, if you don't mind me asking: how did you get to 2016 without learning (at least some of) this computer stuff? I teach computer classes to adults, including (because of requests) really basic computer stuff. I sometimes struggle to understand how to target 'absolute beginners' (quote from one of the requests). It is so hard to determine what others don't know!

Les303

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 03:24:23 PM »
Mate , you can ask me anything you like , i'm an open book who you will find almost impossible to offend.( found out pretty quickly that's not always the case for some sensitive souls out there ).
Your asking some difficult questions here that are not easy to answer fully in an email so rather than give you my life's story (too much typing anyway & probably bore you to death) i'll just give you the short answer.
Basically , i had no desire to purchase a home computer i could see no need for one & just had no interest in learning how to use one.
Also the limited computer work that i've had to do in the workplace was boring & repetitive so the last thing that i wanted to do when i got home to relax was to look at a computer screen.
I guess another major influence would be the fact that i've never married & never had any children.(at least not that i know of ).Obviously with kids in the house , computers would have been a must & no doubt i would have learnt from the kids which may have sparked an entirely different scenario.
To answer the second part of your question is more difficult as i can only speak for myself.
I do think though that people in general are reluctant to divulge a lack of knowledge in any field for fear of being portrayed as dumb or stupid. Particularly with today's technology , it must be pretty embarrassing for a grown adult to have to ask a child to fix a problem with his computer or mobile phone....hope this helps a little bit Les.