Author Topic: A record!  (Read 7766 times)

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
A record!
« on: March 19, 2016, 07:34:41 PM »
Many of you will know that I'm somewhat obsessed with keeping records of my Chi performances.  Well, I've just recorded a personal best for the highest number of common words found to get a rosette - 93 in the 10 letter puzzle that just closed.  My previous record was 91.

This is a little short of my record for the highest number of common words found in any game, which is 99.  I finished one short of a rosette that day - I missed a simple four letter word.  That four letter word was nowhere near as colourful as the four letter words that emanated from my mouth on checking the solution.

Les303

Re: A record!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 08:34:58 PM »
Wow Moribus ... that's pretty impressive.
Being a newer player , it is elite players like yourself that give me a target score to aim for
& inspire me to improve my game.
I'm slowly finding myself generally creeping into the the top 30 to 40 odd in most games , so you might just ever now & again want to take a peek over your shoulder as i will note your record as something to aim for.
On the other hand don't think i'll be bothering the likes of Alfonzo & co as they are in a league of his own.....Go the Bronco's ... Les

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 09:30:37 PM »
Quite quixotic to aim for Alfonso & Alonso's scores!

Les303

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 10:13:49 PM »
Hi yelnat ,
Appreciate the clever play on words but thought i made it clear that i felt that Alfonso & co are clearly out of my league.
I was simply trying to say to moribus & the stack of other players that are clearly way ahead of me that when i see their high score's in any particular game , it inspires me to challenge myself & persevere just that little bit more to improve my game to the best of my ability & maybe edge a little closer to their scores...What in the hell happened to the Broncs ...Les

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 11:15:48 PM »
Welcome to Chi, Les. I hope you have as much fun playing it as I do.

One thing that helped my game improve considerably was thinking in terms of anagrams. For example, if you play the word 'time', play the other words that you can make from those same four letters ('emit',' item' and 'mite') before looking for any other words.

After a while, you'll get to recognize some of Chi's  little quirks. For example in the recent cardsharp game, nearly everyone played the word 'crap'. Far fewer - I'm guessing only the more experienced players - knew that 'craps' was one of the 'false plurals' that Chi allows. It takes a while to learn to recognize these words.

Each time you finish playing a game, make a note of the players who regularly finish just above you on the scoreboard. Make it your aim to get just above them next time.

Finally, don't believe everything you see on the scoreboard! It doesn't always show 'the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth'.

Good luck, have fun!

Mike K.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:31:02 PM by mkenuk »

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 12:16:35 AM »

Finally, don't believe everything you see on the scoreboard! It doesn't always show 'the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth'.

WHHAAAAAAT???!!

Pass the smelling salts; I feel the vapours coming on.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 10:03:15 AM »
After a while, you'll get to recognize some of Chi's  little quirks. For example in the recent cardsharp game, nearly everyone played the word 'crap'. Far fewer - I'm guessing only the more experienced players - knew that 'craps' was one of the 'false plurals' that Chi allows. It takes a while to learn to recognize these words.

Guess which common word I missed? Apparently, some of us don't learn to recognise — or, at least, remember — some of Chi's little quirks even after years of playing.

Rats!

Les303

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 12:21:25 PM »
Hey TRex ,

You might want to consider spending some time down under as "rats" is another bit of slang commonly used here to express disappointment or a missed opportunity.
 " ratshit " is also used to describe when someone might be feeling poorly or a little bit hungover (like me right now}.
Having never travelled outside of Australia (except for a Fiji cruise years ago ) i'm curious to know what the American or British versions of this type of slang would be or are they in fact the same?..Thanks Les

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 01:13:38 PM »
The OED labels 'rats' a colloqualism,
  Expressing frustration, disappointment, or annoyance; ‘drat’, ‘blast’; (also) expressing incredulity or disagreement; ‘rubbish’, ‘nonsense’.

There is no regional usage note, so I take that to mean it is used every place English is spoken. I'm sure someone here will jump in if there is an area it is not used.

Les303

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 02:40:21 PM »
Thanks mate , I'll have to get hold of one of those OED things..Les

HOD

• Neophyte
  • Yarra Valley, Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 10:07:27 AM »
Well done Morbius!! I'm not sure if those totals, I'll have to start keeping track! See you on the scoreboard :)

HOD

• Neophyte
  • Yarra Valley, Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 10:10:40 AM »
Sorry, I meant "I'm not sure OF those totals" - for myself. :)

Les303

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 05:17:38 PM »
Shame there was not a second " T " in todays 10 letter game , i would have been able to finally get another " rosette "... Les

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 11:23:48 AM »

After a while, you'll get to recognize some of Chi's  little quirks. For example in the recent cardsharp game, nearly everyone played the word 'crap'. Far fewer - I'm guessing only the more experienced players - knew that 'craps' was one of the 'false plurals' that Chi allows. It takes a while to learn to recognize these words.

Mike K.

Seems I'm not as  'experienced' a player as I thought.

Was anyone else caught out by the 'clothe / clothes' pair in yesterday's splotches game?

Cost me a rosette! Bah!

MK >:(

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 12:22:57 PM »
It cost me a rosette too!  I saw it but didn't play it because I thought it would be an unacceptable form of the verb 'to clothe'.  I'll remember for next time, though.