Author Topic: Groundhog Day  (Read 11509 times)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
Re: Groundhog Day
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2016, 11:54:59 AM »
Yes, gravy can be made with corn starch, too.

I usually use corn starch for a fruity sauce, like making pomegranate and orange sauce for Thanksgiving.  It's like cranberry sauce, but you don't need to add any sugar.

Since then I have come up with other twists on the country fried steak.  The traditional meat is a cubed steak, which is a round steak run through a device to tenderize it.  If you pick out a nice sirloin and then have the butcher run it through the same tenderizer, you have a country fried steak with a nice flavor that is tender enough to melt in your mouth.

Have you ever tried some sour cream in the gravy?  The sour cream has to be the last ingredient.  It's OK to warm it, but you really don't want to cook the sour cream.
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2016, 02:08:52 AM »
No, I can't say as I have ever tried that!

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2016, 12:06:05 PM »
It's kind of an eastern European take on southern fried steak, a little like a stroganoff.

It's worth a try.  Don't be timid with the sour cream.
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Les303

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2016, 05:38:31 PM »
Stroganoff...mmmm... One of my favourites although my sauce usually comes out of the store bought jar , i always add my own extras including sour cream & if you haven't tried it , try sprinkling the finished dish with toasted almond flakes....mmmm