Author Topic: Groundhog Day  (Read 11507 times)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: Groundhog Day
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 12:25:43 AM »
I'd forgotten about that, mk!  Didn't he call Lucy "the poison dwarf"?!   >:D

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 03:29:03 AM »
Loved Terry Wogan and loved his version of The Floral Dance.  He will be missed.

I thought it was dire!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 03:51:33 AM »
Well, I must admit it was hardly in the Bowie league but it had a certain charm, I thought.  I used to play it on the jukebox in my local - I think I was the only person who ever did.   >:D

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 04:06:27 AM »
I used to play it on the jukebox in my local - I think I was the only person who  ever did.   >:D

Well there's a surprise!  :D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 06:10:47 AM »
I'd forgotten about Lucy Ewing aka the poison dwarf!  Terry Wogan also made the Eurovision Song Contest almost watchable with his unique commentary :laugh:
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2016, 02:12:40 PM »
I have tried to describe US biscuits to my supervisor in Plymouth, UK.  I might as well have been speaking Swahili or writing in hieratic.

Southern US biscuits are more fluffy, but in other regions they can be more flaky.

The entire concept of biscuits and gravy was quite beyond him, but only because he had no comprehension of either our biscuits or our gravy.  We are two nations divided by a common language.

There are differences in biscuits, but there are also differences in gravies.  Different gravies are for different purposes.  For biscuits and gravy, it needs to be a gravy thick enough to not make the biscuits soggy.  This would be a gravy in which a spoon stands upright.  It also needs to have a nice rich meaty flavor throughout, with generous amounts of meat suspended in it.

I had a much longer note on other types of gravy for other purposes, but it got too long.  Nobody wants to read that.
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 11:30:09 AM »
I'd like to read it.
Stevens Point, WI

Les303

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 05:48:10 PM »
Here in Australia , a biscuit is just a little treat that you would usually enjoy along with a cup of tea or coffee ( i like to briefly dip mine in the beverage before consumption although for some reason a lot of people do consider that to be " yucky ".)
Anyway my favourite Oz biscuit would have to be the ANZAC,
I believe that this biscuit actually had its origin in the first world war where it was a very hard & pretty tasteless thing that was basically used as a substitute for bread because it would last for ages hence the acronym " Australian New Zealand Army Corps '.
Over the years the recipe has been developed into a very tasty biscuit which is extremely popular all year round but especially so on ANZAC day which we proudly celebrate every year.

" ANZAC DAY " being our commemoration of that famous day ( 25th. April 1915) when the combined Australian & New Zealand troops stormed the beaches of GALLIPOLI against insurmountable odds.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 05:52:32 PM »
That's what a biscuit is to us, too, Les. Some biscuits are just made to be dunked, but how annoying is it when you leave it for too long and half of it sinks to the bottom of your mug? Ugh.

Les303

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 06:41:55 PM »
Normally gross ... unless it's a " tim tam ".
tim tam's are totally decadent with layers of chocolate etc...
The trick with the tim tam is to to take a small bite of each end , then you use it like a straw to suck up your coffee.

They reckon the rush you get is as good as having a " joint " but i wouldn't know about that. :angel:

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 06:51:47 PM »
Which one wouldn't you know about?  The 'joint' or the sucking through a tim-tam!

Les303

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 07:04:03 PM »
Think i'll take the fifth. >:D

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 02:24:36 PM »
Here's one for Tom44 . . .

If you are making a gravy to serve on meat and mashed potatoes, it's really better to have a gravy that's more liquid.  It's a sauce, and should not be the same consistency as the mashed potatoes.

A few years ago we had a neighbor with a habit of dropping by for a visit on weekends at dinner time.  She really liked my pizza, and I made it on a regular basis.  One weekend she dropped by and there was no pizza.  I told her I was making something else, country fried steak (also known as chicken fried), with mashed potatoes and garden fresh green beans.  She decided to stick around.

For this dish, the breading on the meat needs to puff out a bit and have a nice crispy outer layer.  It also needs to have a really good gravy.  Since the gravy is somewhat liquid, it needs to be served no more than 30 seconds after the gravy hits the meat.  Otherwise the "crispy" becomes "soggy".

I made it with a brown gravy, with lots of sweet onion and mushrooms and beef stock and a smidgen of corn meal and, of course, bacon.

She took one look and said it was not how her mama made it.  It was supposed to have a white gravy, like you would put on biscuits.  We offered to take it away if it offended her, but she wanted to try a bite.  And another.  Snarf, snarf, snarf.  Between mouthfuls she continued to state that this was not at all how it is "supposed" to be done.  I asked if she would like seconds, since I made plenty.  Yes, please.  Halfway through the second helping she mentioned that she really doesn't like mushrooms (while wolfing them down).  I mentioned that it all depends how they are cooked.

In the end she smiled and said I had permission to cook it for her again.

The basic recipe for gravy is to make a roux and add liquid and other stuff, not always in that order.  Traditionally the roux is a 50/50 mixture of grease and flour, but don't let that handcuff you.  If you need to make a thicker gravy, add more flour. 

When I make a queso dip, I melt some butter (unsalted) and add enough flour to make the roux a little crumbly, a little less solid than play-doh.  Add milk, stir a lot (maybe with a whisk) and then add peppers and cheese.  To an extent, thicker dip means more flavor on the chip.  Also, the real star of this show is the cheese (and peppers).  A smaller amount of thick blonde roux de-emphasizes the flavor of the roux.  (A blonde roux is just combining grease and flour, without cooking it until it becomes tan or brown.)  Also keep in mind that the cheese will thicken the sauce.  If in doubt, you probably need to use more cheese.  My favorite is a very sharp cheddar.  I like to use a fresh jalapeno (chopped fine) and crushed red pepper (the stuff you would sprinkle on pizza or spaghetti).

No matter what you do, make sure the roux is well mixed with no lumps of flour.  When you add the liquid, take the time to bring it up to temperature and stir thoroughly to ensure there are no clumps of roux floating around.  This is particularly important when you make a more solid roux (with more flour).
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Les303

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 04:50:42 PM »
I'm sure Tom won't mind if i interject here  to tell you how good that sounds .. my tummy is starting to rumble ..even though here in Australia grease is something we would use to lubricate a car engine. :)

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2016, 02:12:24 AM »
I'd agree that a chicken or country fried steak usually has a white gravy...but I certainly wouldn't turn down what you had made! Sounds like you made a lot of improvements.

Also, my mom always uses cornstarch for her gravy instead of flour.