Author Topic: rissole common?  (Read 7608 times)

Melba

• Neophyte
  • Mayfield (NSW), Australia
    • View Profile
Re: rissole common?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 02:26:25 PM »
Not wanting to sidetrack anyone on this most interesting of discussions on US English vs English English, I can confirm that, as a dyed in the wool New South Welsh(wo)man, the term rissole to describe an RSL club would be almost universally understood in my home state.  However, I have never heard the term 'rissole culture' - I think I will have to investigate that further.

As a teenager, and to be honest, even to this day, it was common to farewell friends (and those family members with a well developed sense of humour) with a cry of 'see you round like a rissole' complete with the requisite squeaky sound 'eh eh', at the end of the phrase. (Impossible to fully convey that delightfully irreverent sound in text  :'( ) .  I love the idea that it might have been coined by the folks behind 'The Aunty Jack Show'. Not necessarily a show that would appeal to everyone - the lead character was "a motorcycling transvestite boxer' who would threaten to 'rip your bloody arms off' if her directions were not followed. It used to have my family in fits of laughter when we watched it.  (I need to state here and now that I wasn't old enough to watch it when it first aired on the ABC in the very early 1970's, but the repeats never lost their sparkle.)

And one more snippet about 'The Aunty Jack Show' - another iconic figure first appeared, albeit briefly, on the show, everyone's favourite un-personality from Wollongong - Norman Gunston.
And I thought I was playing Chi just for the words.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: rissole common?
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 07:28:53 AM »
(I need to state here and now that I wasn't old enough to watch it when it first aired on the ABC in the very early 1970's, but the repeats never lost their sparkle.)

That's something where there is no difference between Englishes — the need we all have (myself included) to use such disclaimers lest we thought older than we are! (I suspect it exists in other languages, too!)