Author Topic: "snowzilla"  (Read 6474 times)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
"snowzilla"
« on: January 23, 2016, 10:39:24 AM »
Yes, the news services have come up with another name for a major winter storm.

RM, are you and RF OK?

So far this seems to have hit our region worse than yours, but I am still concerned for you.

All is good over here.  I was called in for a small bit of emergency transport, but no worries here.

Are you OK?

- A
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
Re: "snowzilla"
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 02:54:51 PM »
I suppose they have to call it Snowzilla in order to distinguish it from Snowpocalyse and Snowmageddon, the last two storms here within the short memories of news reporters. We are fine, so far. As of now we have maybe six inches of snow, but we are told to expect eighteen to twenty-four inches. We have settled in for the duration. We do not expect to go anywhere until Monday or Tuesday. Since we had ample warning for this storm, we are well prepared for it, although I will have to say, I will be exceedingly annoyed if we lose our power for more than twelve hours.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 08:03:24 PM »
I could not agree with you more.

In the New York city area, we are expected to receive around nine inches of snow, possibly somewhat more to the west and south.

I will also be exceedingly annoyed if power is lost for more than twelve hours.

During Superstorm Sandy (October/November 2012) which seriously devastated many homes and businesses near the water in New Jersey and New York, I was without heat and power for seven days.  We have a "new" power company since then.  

If power is lost for a substantial time period, things could be much more difficult when compared with Superstorm Sandy.  At that time, since I had no heat, the inside temperature fell to about 50 degrees Fahrenheit.  Since it is midwinter, inside temperatures could fall considerably lower.

Winds are expected to exceed sixty miles per hour.  

There is a full moon and "astronomical tides" are expected, with high tides minimally three feet greater than normal.  There is a high probability for coastal flooding.

There is a lot of anxiety abounding.

A number of public transportation systems have totally suspended service "for the duration":  in Washington DC, Philadelphia, New Jersey, and New York.  The mayor of New York city has encouraged everyone to remain at home so that snow removal vehicles are not impeded by automobiles whose owners have left their cars in inappropriate locations, thereby blocking passage through thoroughfares.  New York city has on hand more than 300,000 tons of salt (!) for melting snow.

As Bette Davis famously said in a 1950 movie, "All About Eve":  "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night."

Possible snow totals have been increased to twelve to twenty-four inches in the New York City area.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:11:36 PM by Alonzo Quixote »

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 03:40:42 AM »
We are halfway through our storm now, and so far so good. It is cold and breezy; the snow is blowing nearly sideways. Most people still have their power, including us. A lot of shoveling has been going on to try and stay ahead of things.

tpc

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 04:24:17 AM »
Ditto for Piedmont Va, RM...though maybe worse. Blizzard conditions, actually --- dog refuses to go out in it and she hasn't peed since yesterday aft. 4:30!

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 07:43:26 AM »
The Rogue family survived the snow all right, including the Rogue daughter who lives in New York City, without losing a bit of power. Two days of glorious sunshine have allowed us to do a great deal of snow removal. See the attached photo for a measure of how much was removed from our driveway. RF was assisted by hired help -- a very smart decision on his part. We haven't ventured out on the roads yet; we will allow the road crews to finish their work without any interference from us. The larder is amply stocked and it will take a day or two more before either of us begins to suffer from cabin fever.

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 05:23:36 PM »
I like this meme....

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 06:33:14 AM »
Brilliant Bobbi - love it! :laugh:
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

HOD

• Neophyte
  • Yarra Valley, Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 11:01:35 AM »
Glad to hear the Rogue family are ok. I hope others in the region got through it too. I love the photo, we would never see anything like that here in Melbourne. On our nasty Summer days when it's 42c and 90% humidity, your beautiful white snow mound would look very inviting! Keep safe and warm up there!

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 12:09:01 PM »
I've been trying to attach photos of the storm, using the additional options, but it won't attach because the file is too big.  I think my photo program doesn't allow me to resize photos.  Or at least I can't figure out how.
Due to my total lack of techie ability, I'm giving up.  (Do you perceive the frustration?)

But if anyone does want to see the photos, here's a link to the Facebook album I made.  You don't need to be a FB user to see the photos, though you might have to be to comment - not sure about that.  Linda - fair warning, there are some you might want to skip.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10207288490402108.1073741922.1580311371&type=1&l=3a3c5a1e24

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 01:16:45 PM »
I like this meme....

Americans in the Midwest don't think of it as a monster storm....  >:D

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 03:43:58 PM »
Dear TR,

I really do know what you mean.  I grew up in the midwest, about 50 miles from Chicago, with more extreme snowfall and more extreme temperatures.  "Lake effect" snow is a pain.

Down here our cities are less prepared for snow and many of our citizens do not know how to drive in it.

- A
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 12:39:27 PM »
I've been trying to attach photos of the storm, using the additional options, but it won't attach because the file is too big.  I think my photo program doesn't allow me to resize photos.  Or at least I can't figure out how.
Due to my total lack of techie ability, I'm giving up.  (Do you perceive the frustration?)

But if anyone does want to see the photos, here's a link to the Facebook album I made.  You don't need to be a FB user to see the photos, though you might have to be to comment - not sure about that.  Linda - fair warning, there are some you might want to skip.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10207288490402108.1073741922.1580311371&type=1&l=3a3c5a1e24

IrfanView is a freeware program that allows you to resize AND resample images. Resampling means compressing them so that they fit in a smaller file, without changing the picture dimensions. The program handles a bewildering array of image file types, including all the standard ones, and a host of others you've never heard of. It'll convert to different formats as well, so if you want to save images in compressed form, without the data loss and artefacts that appear in highly compressed JPEG images, it'll convert them to PNG for you. PNG files are still compressed, but the compression is "lossless", which means no data goes missing and no artefacts appear when you open the files. Even better, if you have lots of photos to process, it'll batch convert the lot in one go. Comes complete with a manual so you can work out how to use it, though if you're using Windows 7 or above you might have to download the help file handling program from Microsoft, so that you can read the help files written for older versions of Windows.
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 10:00:47 AM »
I tried changing the Forum settings to allow bigger pictures, birdy, but for some reason it keeps reverting to the default. So for the time being you're limited to 128K per attachment and 192K in total per post.

I also use Irfan View. Another free program that can be used to reduce image file sizes is Photoscape. It's a bit more consumer oriented, (as opposed to geek oriented).
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 12:59:08 PM »
Update: I think I've managed to increase the limits. I'll test it out in this post.

The new limit is about 5MB per attachment and 10MB per post.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites