Author Topic: Thinking out loud (in writing)  (Read 2137 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Thinking out loud (in writing)
« on: February 27, 2016, 10:37:37 AM »
In the MOMENTARY puzzle, the word etymon was uncommon, but isn't that a word most wordies would know?  >:D
(No, not a request for changing an uncommon word to common ... never!)

In the CHAMOMILE puzzle, the word used to describe a silent actor who is a counterpart to those who typically work in whiteface with white gloves acting out a story through body motions — but this actor works underground and uses blackface. I'm referring, of course, to a coalmime:D  :D  :D

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking out loud (in writing)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 10:48:41 AM »
Etymon. Yet another word I didn't know.  I suppose I could think of it as the ancestor of a derivative.

My high school Latin teacher assigned us the project of compiling a derivative notebook, where we had to find words in newspapers or magazines, and look up the Latin words they were derived from.  I think that may be almost the only high school assignment I remember, and it's probably where I learned the pleasure of and curiosity about words.  Thank you, Miss Bortz!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 07:41:30 PM »
the word etymon ........ isn't that a word most wordies would know?  >:D

Apparently not. It was played by only 20 of that game's participants, some of whom were probably just copying it from a wordlist anyway.

More, however, than played meronym (10) but fewer than played metonym (31), two other 'wordie' words!

;D :-R ;D

MK
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 02:59:26 AM by mkenuk »

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 07:10:07 AM »
Apparently not. It was played by only 20 of that game's participants, some of whom were probably just copying it from a wordlist anyway.

I know.  :(   (Perhaps they were avoiding it because they didn't expect it to be a common word!) ;D