Author Topic: more toys  (Read 11871 times)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
more toys
« on: November 25, 2015, 04:11:20 PM »
As many of you already know, I really love making toys for needy children.  This is a great way to get into the Christmas spirit.  If you are ever dispirited, this is an excellent remedy.

I cannot make toys every year.  Sometimes there are emergencies at work.  If I can save a few jobs I will do that; this also makes a few Christmases brighter than they would have been.  If I need to help Mrs. A or a friend through a rough time, I must do so (charity starts in the home, and in the community).  It feels great to make toys when I can.

This year there will be toys!

Of course, I always do this under an assumed name.  I am Chuckles the Elf.  Every toy goes out with a letter from Chuckles.
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: more toys
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 05:22:07 PM »
What are you making this year, a non-amos?

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 08:46:18 AM »
I hope to have photos before too long.
Carpe digitus.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 06:23:08 PM »
I hope it hasn't been too long!

These toys are going to needy children, distributed by the US Marines Toys for Tots program.  This is a really neat charity that gives toys to children that might not otherwise receive much of anything.  Most people buy one or two extra toys and drop them off in a donation bin.  I put a little more time and effort into this.  I have specific authorization to build toys for them.

Building toys for children in need is absolutely the best way to get into the Christmas Spirit, and this can be contagious.

The first file is a group photo, the class of 2015.  The second is an individual sample, showing the contours on the propeller.  The third photo shows the underside, with some unusually tight wood joints (the stripe down the middle extending forward of the elevators is the underside of the vertical rudder).

The top coat of wood finish is non-toxic.  The undercoat is FDA approved as a food additive (it is used in skittles and jelly beans).

Each toy is packaged with bubble wrap (kids of all ages love bubble wrap) and also a letter from the elf.  I do this under an assumed name; I am Chuckles the Elf.

Cheers, and have a Very Merry Christmas!
Carpe digitus.

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 11:26:24 PM »
Wonderful and commendable work!  You are a real-life Santa Claus. 

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 02:00:55 PM »
This almost did not happen in 2015, but it did happen.  There were a few disasters, narrowly averted.

I am not Santa Clause; I am just an elf.  This is as it should be.

In the end, this is not about me, and it's not about the Marines, and it's not really about the toys.  It's all about the child receiving the present, and his/her family.

- A
Carpe digitus.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 12:15:22 PM »
It would be so nice to have a "like" button on Chihuahua...

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 11:55:59 AM »
Most likely, there will probably not be another batch of biplanes for Christmas 2016.
Carpe digitus.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 01:02:27 PM »
That's because I'll probably be making race cars instead!
Carpe digitus.

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 03:45:36 AM »
Whew.  You had the worried that it was because of the layoffs and I was too scared to ask for details.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 02:07:07 PM »
A minor side-note . . .

I am also an engineer, and much of the time I deal with product safety.  It would be an understatement to say I have great respect for that field.

I ran this past a NRTL (Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory) and told them what I was up to (building toys for free distribution to the needy, in my spare time).  They told me that if I wanted a formal and documented opinion it would cost a whopping lot of money.  I told them that this was not work related, that it was just something I had to do, and that formal documentation was not required.

They told me first and foremost that this was not within scope of anything needing certification.  I am not selling them, period and exclamation point.  This does not matter; I am asking for a second opinion in product safety.  This is a home project, without a penny to spend for formal documentation.  I can and will proceed without their opinion, but a second opinion is good to have.

They circulated this as a pro bono project that might lift employee's spirits.  I was copied on some of the chatter.  There were some concerns with chemical safety, followed by replies from higher-ups to the effect that they had not studied the data, followed by email from the low-level grunts saying that the points they were debating were irrelevant; I used an undercoat that eliminated the potential problem they had debated.  The muckey-mucks asked about the safety of the undercoat, and the low-level replied that it was food safe, and is an ingredient in skittles and jelly beans.  Okey dokey.

Their informal and undocumented response was that yes they now believe in Santa Clause, that yes the toys are every bit as safe as I had thought, and there was no way on earth this could ever get a real safety rating.  There is no way to trace the end product back to the manufacturer.

I do this under an assumed name, Chuckles the Elf.
Carpe digitus.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 01:04:28 PM »
A few reassuring words to Ensiform . . .

My job is safe.  It is true that many others have not been as fortunate.

If the worst had happened to me and they had given me the axe, and if I could not find other employment, I would still do this. 

Wood, glue, nails, and screws are very cheap.  If I play my cards right, I might get these materials for free.  Free or not, I would still do this.

The limiting factor is time.  I do not wish to be in those dire circumstances, but if I had time on my hands I would probably make more toys and not fewer.

- A
Carpe digitus.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 12:18:49 PM »
Unfortunately, I will probably not be able to make toys this year.

I need to go under the surgeon's knife during prime toy making season.  They say that it might (or might not) be malignant, but it's not any of the most virulent types.  Nevertheless, I really do need to get this taken care of.  Sooner is better.

It's really not a good idea to operate power tools under the influence of morphine or whatever.  Count the fingers going into the workshop and count them on the way out?  I would prefer not to play that game.

I might still be able to contribute in other ways (such as music) but the toys might not happen this year.

- A
Carpe digitus.

Les303

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 02:15:57 PM »
Good luck with the prognosis A & do not under estimate the power of positive thinking

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 12:14:34 AM »
I need to go under the surgeon's knife during prime toy making season.  They say that it might (or might not) be malignant, but it's not any of the most virulent types.  Nevertheless, I really do need to get this taken care of.  Sooner is better.

Oh, dear! Our prayers and very best wishes for a positive outcome for this procedure.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area