Author Topic: Ten years of Chihuahua  (Read 4602 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ten years of Chihuahua
« on: September 24, 2015, 03:21:32 PM »
28 September will be the tenth anniversary of the launch of the Chihuahua website. Happy birthday, little pup!

I'll still be traveling for a week or so, but when I get back to home base I'll put together something in the way of a commemoration.

In the meantime, feel free to share your Chi reminiscences here in the forum. When did you start playing? How did you hear about it? Have you ever tried to give it up? Etc, etc.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: Ten years of Chihuahua
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 06:25:59 PM »
Happy birthday indeed! And thanks to Alan for putting up with us for 10 years!

I can't remember how I came across Chi. Many years ago, while at work, a colleague and I used to compete against each other for the best score playing the Target in the Daily Express. It was exactly the same principle as Chi's niners (although prim about which words it would accept). I think I must have come across Chi while looking for a similar game on the internet and have never looked back.

Give it up? Are you mad, man?

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 04:50:41 AM »
I second Pat completely!
My daughter Zoe (Elentari) came across Chi entirely by (a very happy) accident! 
Please keep up the fabulous work Alan.  It's very much appreciated for so many different reasons :)
Penny
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 08:30:16 AM »
I've been playing for four years, and religiously play all three puzzles every day.  I can't imagine not playing! 

I've particularly enjoyed the vigorous debates in the forum about the validity and/or commonness of words.  I remember arguing passionately (though unsuccessfully) for the removal of the words glutes and ibid from the Chi lexicon. (I at least succeeded in having them both downgraded).  And of course, hardly a day goes by without learning a new word.

In recent times, the advent of Alan's very interesting player stats has been a feature for me.

Here's to many more years of wordfinding! (if wordfinding is actually a word....)

roberts

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 12:36:30 PM »
Congratulations Alan
And Thanks
Like Morbius I play pretty much every day, where-ever I am, and likewise can't imagine my day with my 'Chi fix'!
 8)

Barbaram

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 02:42:14 PM »
Hi Alan
I can't believe what a fabulous site this is. I am a relative newcomer, having discovered it quite by chance in 2011 while waiting in a doctor's surgery and searching the Internet on my phone for some sort of word game to pass the time. And what a lot of time I have since passed! I try and play every day and yes, there is a certain degree of addiction involved.
Thank you!
Barbara

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 10:34:40 AM »
Happy tenth for tomorrow, Chi. I probably won't be playing for the next few days - I'm off to the far north of Thailand where my Internet access is rather limited.

Been a player for about five years now, an addict for much of that time!

High point - a rosette in about six minutes (a very low target on a very easy standard game); low point - seventeen short of a rosette on one of the first ten-letter games. Ambition - one day to make it to 'champion' status on a game.

Hope everyone joins in a chorus of 'Happy Birthday' tomorrow - it won't cost anything now it's been declared 'out of copyright'!

MK :D