Author Topic: word suggestion - gobby  (Read 2909 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
word suggestion - gobby
« on: December 04, 2015, 09:30:40 PM »
Living in N-East England, our word for someone who talked too much was 'gobby'. An alternative was to say that someone 'had a right gob on them'. I've occasionally heard both of these on films and TV progs.

Chi, in the 'clobbering 10-letter game didn't seem to know 'gobbier',  the comparative form of 'gobby', probably because he's never been to Northern England.

Anyone else know the word?

MK

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: word suggestion - gobby
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 09:54:12 PM »
Use the word 'gobby' quite frequently, MK! 

I used to spend quite a bit of time in Liverpool and a delightful phrase used there is:

"He's got a gob like the Mersey tunnel"

>:D

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 01:32:36 AM »
It's not confined to the north of England.  I think gob is used as a slang term all over. Another phrase oft used is 'a smack in the gob'.

Delightfully it's also used as a verb, meaning to spit, so I think gobby, gobbed and gobbing should all be included.

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 03:42:18 AM »
Gob is not used in the USA, except to mean a quantity of sticky liquid.  Gobs of spit or tar, for example.

"Gob" to mean mouth, many Americans I would say are dimly aware of.  The form "gobby" is unknown.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 08:57:18 AM by ensiform »

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 06:17:15 AM »
I expected 'gobbier' to be accepted too, though I was prepared for it not to be common. 'Gobby' would be a common word for me, and I'm not from the North.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 02:51:52 PM »
Use the word 'gobby' quite frequently, MK! 

You've been known to use it in the forum Linda. And so have pat and technomc.

The word is in a number of dictionaries: Oxford, Collins, Dictionary.com. Wiktionary gives several meanings, including like a lump; lumpy; talkative; fat; and a slang term from Australia and New Zealand for an act of fellatio. Some of the dictionaries identify the comparative and superlative forms gobbier and gobbiest. I'll add all three words. Gobbed and gobbing are already accepted.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 12:16:28 PM »
Gob is not used in the USA, except to mean a quantity of sticky liquid.  Gobs of spit or tar, for example.

"Gob" to mean mouth, many Americans I would say are dimly aware of.  The form "gobby" is unknown.

My father, raised in New Jersey, used it to mean mouth.