Author Topic: Well I never...  (Read 3365 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Well I never...
« on: August 27, 2015, 07:51:11 PM »
One of the common words I missed in in the vulgarized puzzle was virgule. The fact that only seven people got it doesn't necessarily indicate that it's not a common word as I would imagine that even if you know it it's not one that you would easily spot.

But I must admit that it's a new word for me - I never knew the 'slash' was called anything other than that. Lest all you polymaths hold up your hands in horror at that statement, let me say that although I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent I am, unfortunately, an uneducated person. This isn't a suggestion to downgrade it to rare, just a confession of my ignorance.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 08:07:36 PM by pat »

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: Well I never...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 08:13:03 PM »
I consider myself to be reasonably well educated, Pat, and I have never heard of the word either.  Anyway, why use virgule (ugly word) when slash sounds so much better?!  >:D

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 12:39:39 AM »
Interestingly, Alan commented earlier this year on the rareness of virgule.

https://theforum.lexigame.com/index.php/topic,3068.0.html

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 04:36:56 AM »
Judging by his comments on that thread I'm beginning to think that maybe virgule isn't such a common word!

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 07:03:51 AM »
One of the common words I missed in in the vulgarized puzzle was virgule. The fact that only seven people got it doesn't necessarily indicate that it's not a common word as I would imagine that even if you know it it's not one that you would easily spot.

But I must admit that it's a new word for me - I never knew the 'slash' was called anything other than that. Lest all you polymaths hold up your hands in horror at that statement, let me say that although I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent I am, unfortunately, an uneducated person. This isn't a suggestion to downgrade it to rare, just a confession of my ignorance.

Not to worry, Pat. I have a science degree from an Ivy-covered university, and I never heard it called anything except slash or forward slash. Okay, maybe stroke, too. I doubt the term virgule is generally taught in United States schools except by particularly priggish schoolmarms.

I was one of the seven people who got it, but that was only because I happened to remember the word from the discussion that Anonsi linked to. The word came to me while I was thinking of something else, considerably after the time that I first played the puzzle.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

nineoaks

• Word-meister
  • Florence, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 07:29:05 AM »
If I recall correctly, 'virgule' is French for 'comma.' That's the only context in which I've encountered it.

9O

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 08:51:42 AM »
Me too, 9O. So this thread has flummoxed me - I can't help imagining a comma, which would look rather odd in the place of a slash.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 03:59:36 PM »
While it may not have been your intention to suggest a change to the classification of virgule, pat, it's pretty clear that it should be a rare word, so I'll change it.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 09:04:24 PM »
//////, ////!