Author Topic: The Apostrophe and "Eats, Shoots & Leaves"  (Read 10908 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Apostrophe and "Eats, Shoots & Leaves"
« on: June 19, 2007, 12:08:47 PM »
Now that things have quietened down a bit, I'd just like to throw in some comments about Lynne Truss's book Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation, which was mentioned in another topic (that subsequently went haywire).

I got the impression that presenting the book as a tirade against bad punctuation was a bit of a publisher's ploy to get people interested in a book about punctuation. The bulk of the book tells the history of each punctuation mark, in which it is made obvious that people's ideas of correct punctuation have changed dramatically over the centuries, and that many of the usages considered correct today were decried as ignorant mistakes in the past. (As is often the case with spellings and meanings of words too.) The indignation about sloppy punctuation seems to have been tacked on, as an afterthought.

Having said that, I must admit that my hackles rise when I see apostrophes wrongly used. But Lynne Truss's fixation with this issue would have been more effective if she had managed to collect a lot of examples of apostrophe misuse by well-known authors and respected publications, rather than picking on the hapless shopkeeper. (I find I'm not so bothered by apostrophes being left out as by them being wrongly inserted. Some writers have suggested that text messaging is hastening the complete disappearance of the apostrophe, which wouldn't cause any problems of comprehension in most cases.)

And, while some punctuation issues are clear-cut, others are debatable. Some reviewers have claimed that the book is full of errors itself (for example the New Yorker's review). And shouldn't that be "zero-tolerance approach"?

(I've also commented on the book's title on the Ozlip site.)
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Re: The Apostrophe and "Eats, Shoots & Leaves"
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 12:30:27 PM »
So, then, the bottom line is -- is it really worth the read? I value your thoughtful critique and recommendation one way or the other.

Thanks,
3-B

haywire is putting it mildly!  ;)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 12:36:12 PM »
3B, I would say it's an interesting read, to the extent that you're interested in punctuation! In my case, that made it mildly interesting.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 12:38:41 PM »
Thanks Alan. I am interested, but not fascinated. Mostly, it's the poor apostrophe being misused. If people just thought a second about why the rule exists and its application, most of the mistakes would be avoided.

To me, it just seems a combo of ignorance, stupidity and lack of care! Oh well, what else is new?

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 05:35:24 PM »
Well threeb,
id ave thought youd have had more patience than that...im surprised at you. :o
But i suppose as youre dealing with English all the time youre dealing with idiots who dont know, or are too lazy to use it, as youve said.
This will be my one and only post without it, cos i hate it too, as it seems loads of us [well a couple of others] do.

Dont you just hate textspeak??? The younger students use it all the time in their written work, and cant understand why its unacceptable!!!

What a review VIRAL....ill pop to the library in a bit and see if theyve got it..
Sorry if you thought it all went to pot yesterday...you unleashed a monster..that was me....it was funny though, i chuckled..nee roared...all evening about it.
I cant promise it wont happen again..but i promise ill try to keep it as amusing.
Cheers for now yall....
 :angel:

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 08:22:06 PM »
Well, T

id have more patience than that but your rite dealing with english and so-called english speakers it gets to be ridiculous sometimes. most of the time all i can really hope for it to keep myself from making the same mistakes i loathe in others!

Isn't that just life, anyway? I figure if everyone just watched their own behavior, we wouldn't have to have so many rules!  8)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 08:44:31 PM »
Absolutely mate..
Believe it or not...
I do try always to treat others as i would like to be treated...
I do try always to be respectful if/when it is deserved..
I do try always to do 1 good deed a day for a stranger...
I do try always to never be late...or outstay my welcome...
And a few other commandments that i have set in stone for myself....
If more people did the same we wouldn't have idiots like Paris Hilton doing what she does/doesn't do...
Do you think it all boils down to just honest to goodness selfishness...???
 :angel:

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 08:47:13 PM »
What a saintly being you are, T!   :angel:  I must try and live up to your good example!  I take it that this means you are not going to be mean to bjs in future?  As if!!!!!  >:D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 08:48:48 PM »
Absolutely, T. Great set of rules.  ;D  It's funny, because those are ones we grew up with .... with which we grew up! They still apply.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 09:01:21 PM »
Unfortunately some of this up and coming generation are not being taught anything very much..and certainly no respect for themselves or others; i fear we are an almost extinct breed.
However..BRING IT ON ...i'm ready for round 2...are you???
        :angel:/ >:D/ :angel:>:D:angel:

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 09:02:59 PM »
Can't wait!!!  Though I may have to resort to wearing a corset to hold my sides together!  >:D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 09:03:27 PM »
This only leaves about an hour, or so, to get on your bullet train to al;oeiu45alkg98!oooooo***, but you can punch my ticket if you'd like! I'm on!  >:D

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 12:28:57 AM »
Newayz, T, wutz wrong w/txt spk?

R U hatin'?   ;)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 12:35:09 AM »
NT U2.....
WOT NXT....R U GONA KEEP THS UP TH'OLE TIME?
LOL...:->

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 12:42:31 AM »
Nething 2  >:( u! :)

Seriously, though, not really.  I only use text speak when I am IMing people (remember that whole conversation we had earlier??).  And even then, it is only occasionally.

I don't text people on my cell phone v. often because it costs more.  Plus, I also write for a living, so I am used to typing everything out.