Author Topic: Help!  (Read 4314 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Help!
« on: April 04, 2015, 12:15:25 AM »
I'm really struggling with the site now.  I've got the 9 letter word today but now I have no letters in the cross to play with so I can't add any more words.  I have tried the Alt Site but it's no different.  I feel a bit stupid but a friend/colleague at work has experienced the same problem.  Such a shame as I do love Chi.  I'm probably being a bit of a thickie technophobe but I was always fine until the changes were made!  Any helpful suggestions most gratefully received please :-C
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 03:18:30 AM »
I occasionally get this 'cross with no letters' especially when logging on. I then go, not to the alternative site, but to Full Screen with which I've never had a problem.

MK

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 08:43:35 AM »
Other suggestions, if you haven't already tried them: reload the page, using the button in the browser tool bar. In many browsers you can do this with the F5 function key, or better still press F5 while holding down the Ctrl key. One other thing you could try is the Reset button, next to the Alt. site button. Good luck!

Let me know if the problem continues. And I'd be interested in knowing if others have had this problem.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 04:37:35 AM »
Many thanks Alan - I'll give your suggestions a whirl and let you know if I have any more problems.  Penny

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 08:41:06 PM »
I am still having lots of trouble playing the Standard game.  All the other games seem fine but when I play the Standard it is very slow and the letters 'hang' in the air.  Any suggestions as to why this might be?  Happy Easter!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 08:17:18 PM »
Hi Alan.
Am still finding things a bit weird!  Playing at home on my laptop this morning and everything is perfect and as it should be :)
Played at work earlier in the week and had no count with the blue arrow along the bottom and didn't know how many common words still needed and eventually no letters on the cross :(
Do you think the moral of the story is don't play Chi at work?!
The most important thing is being able to play at home so that's OK
Penny :-C

cb

• Linguissimo
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 03:36:40 AM »
My problem is that I can no longer increase the text size when playing.  I tend to increase it (in Firefox, using CTRL+ to increase size and CTRL- to decrease) - the letters on the cross (which appear to be graphics images rather than items of text) go weird and unreadable.  If I reset the font size to default (CTRL 0) then all is oK - but I struggle to read anything on the screen except the main parts of the game.
cb

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 04:56:45 PM »
For a while I was puzzled by your experiences, cb, because when I use ctrl + and - in Firefox, the letters on the cross get bigger and smaller just like the rest of the page. But then I discovered that Firefox has an option to control what happens when you use ctrl + and -. The way my Firefox was set up, the screen simply zooms in and out, so everything grows and shrinks to the same extent, whether text or image or whatever. Presumably you have things set up to "Zoom text only". In this mode, the letters on the cross do indeed go weird and unreadable. Sorry!

I think I was trying to change things so that the letters on the cross would change size in line with the text on the page (which can be adjusted in various ways in various browsers). But I obviously never got it working. I think I may have given up the idea as too complicated, given all the things that have to change if the letters change in size. But it seems I forgot to remove the partial changes I had made. I'll fix this up soon.

As for the other problems people have mentioned, I don't know what's causing these things, but I'll keep investigating.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

cb

• Linguissimo
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 04:22:30 AM »
For a while I was puzzled by your experiences, cb, because when I use ctrl + and - in Firefox, the letters on the cross get bigger and smaller just like the rest of the page. But then I discovered that Firefox has an option to control what happens when you use ctrl + and -. The way my Firefox was set up, the screen simply zooms in and out, so everything grows and shrinks to the same extent, whether text or image or whatever. Presumably you have things set up to "Zoom text only". In this mode, the letters on the cross do indeed go weird and unreadable. Sorry!

I think I was trying to change things so that the letters on the cross would change size in line with the text on the page (which can be adjusted in various ways in various browsers). But I obviously never got it working. I think I may have given up the idea as too complicated, given all the things that have to change if the letters change in size. But it seems I forgot to remove the partial changes I had made. I'll fix this up soon.

As for the other problems people have mentioned, I don't know what's causing these things, but I'll keep investigating.

Cor - you're right but I had no idea - don't actually remember setting that option.
Many thanks, as always, for your instant diagnostics, not to mention the fabulous game.

CB
cb