Author Topic: Word suggestion: modder  (Read 2647 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Word suggestion: modder
« on: March 14, 2015, 06:42:36 AM »
This is widely-used amongst PC enthusiasts: Modding who are known as modders.

Suggested forms for inclusion:
modder
modded
modding

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: Word suggestion: modder
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 03:24:48 AM »
Or someone who is more modern, perhaps?!

BTW I am convinced that the word 'vaper' should have been allowed in today's challenge.  More and more people are taking up vaping as an alternative to smoking, surely?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 02:47:34 PM »
Mod, as a verb is listed in the online Oxford: "Make modifications to; modify". And the term is widely used in certain circles, as you say, TRex. So modded and modding should be allowed. I didn't see a dictionary specifically listing modder as a derived term, but it is also widely used. The earliest example I saw was in a 2005 Forbes magazine article, "It's a Mod, Mod Underworld":

If he likes a mod, he sells it online himself and shares half the sales with the modders. If a modder wants to sell it on his own, he must pay Valve a $200,000 licensing fee, plus royalties, in exchange for using Half-Life's development engine.

So I'll accept modder too.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 03:06:02 PM »
What about the word vaper, proposed by Linda? At the time she made this suggestion Chi didn't accept vape or any related word.

Later that same year, 2015, Morbius suggested adding vape, vaped and vaping, which I accepted. But I'd forgotten that vaper had also been suggested. In fact the dictionary passage that Morbius quoted included vaper, but I overlooked that. The word had evidently become vaporously invisible.

Anyhow, I'll add it now.

Alan Walker

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 10:09:39 AM »
Thank you, sir!

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 11:11:59 AM »
I always appreciate your explanations, Alan.  They are never vapid.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 08:33:03 PM »
I'd like to suggest that yesterday's puzzle should have allowed ablute - to wash; you can allow it after your daily ablutions...  ;D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 09:23:33 PM »
Hi, ridethetalk.

I was quite certain ablute had been suggested before, many years ago, but I can't find any trace of it. (Has somebody scrubbed it from the records?) I'll give it due consideration soon.
Alan Walker

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 12:53:21 AM »
I also meant to suggest ablute, but forgot.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 02:18:16 PM »
Weirdly enough abluted has always been acceptable as a Chi word, but not ablute or abluting. Obviously the much better known ablution is accepted, and is a common word.

I would have guessed ablute was a fairly recent coinage, as a jocular back-formation from ablution. But I'd be wrong! It's been around since at least 1703. It's listed in a few dictionaries, including the online Merriam-Webster and the Shorter Oxford.

The word is not used very often and, as the following extract from the Telegraph, UK, in 2010 demonstrates, not everybody knows what it means:

Last month, Davina McCall, the presenter of Big Brother, said she didn't like her children to watch television because it's "not good for them".

I remembered this remark on Friday night when, during the last ever episode of Celebrity Big Brother, McCall interviewed the actress Stephanie Beacham, one of the show's contestants. Beacham mentioned that she and her fellow contestant Ivana Trump had spent a lot of time "abluting".

McCall turned to the camera and, presumably for the benefit of younger viewers who might not be familiar with the word, explained: "It means 'talking'."

I do hope McCall's children weren't watching.

Ablute and abluting will be allowed as rare words.
Alan Walker