Author Topic: trammed?  (Read 2494 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
trammed?
« on: March 27, 2015, 08:52:18 PM »

From the IMMIGRATED 10-letter game.

I certainly know what a tram is, having travelled on them a few times, but I've never heard of a verb 'to tram', of which this is obviously the past tense and past participle.
Neither has COD nor Chambers Dictionary.

Nor is it N. American, since they don't have trams; they have street-cars.

Not too many rosettes in this game, apart from members of the  'Rosette Every Game' club of course. I suspect this might be one of the reasons?

MK

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: trammed?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 09:43:49 PM »
I actually got trammed, but it was a guess and I was a bit surprised that it was a word.  I've never heard the word tram used as a verb either.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 11:38:09 PM »
I got it, too, but only as a guess. For tram's usage as a verb  FreeDictionary.com cites the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, where it is labelled chiefly British, Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, and Collins English Verb Tables.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 03:25:53 AM »
 I didnt get TRAMMED either, never even thought about it.

I loved MKs description of the Rosette Every Game Club.....perhaps theys should re-register as Reg 1,Reg2 etc

dragonman
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 07:13:51 AM »
In Melbourne, where we do have trams, it is common to say something like, "I'll tram it to the City". Therefore, I might say upon arrival in the City, "I trammed it".

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 08:21:54 PM »
As a lifelong inhabitant of the trammed city of Melbourne, it pains me to have to agree that trammed is not really a common word. Neither is tramming, which is also classed that way at present. I'll change them.

The Wikipedia page List of tram and light rail transit systems reveals that there are a multitude of cities running trams, but most of them are not in English-speaking countries.

MK, with regard to your speculation whether this word contributed to a dearth of rosettes in the puzzle concerned (10 letters, 26 March), the new "List by plays" button gives us a chance to explore this.

It shows that there were 10 other common words in that puzzle that were more elusive than trammed (which is the next word above those shown in the image). 94 players played it. However, there were probably quite a few people who tried it without any strong expectation it would be accepted. The experienced Chi-ite will know that it's usually worth trying -ED on the end of almost any word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites