Author Topic: Oohed and ahed  (Read 2484 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Oohed and ahed
« on: August 25, 2014, 07:14:37 PM »
Does ahed have any other meaning than the past tense of ah? If not, in the fatherhood puzzle the other day one was common if one oohed but rare if one ahed.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: Oohed and ahed
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 07:31:11 PM »
---- not forgetting 'ohed' and (believe it or not) 'ahhed'!! (both uncommon).

I think even *.*. and #.#. may have missed that last one since there were no cups awarded for that game.

MK >:D >:D

btw, I wonder if the -ing forms (oohing, ahing etc ) are classified in the same way?

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 02:47:10 AM »
I think even *.*. and #.#. may have missed that last one since there were no cups awarded for that game.

Most likely they will have added the words they missed to their lists by now.

;)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 02:20:14 PM »
Oohed and oohing are classed as common, while ahed and ahing are treated as rare, as are aahed and aahing and ahhed and ahhing.

This seems inconsistent, given that oohed is rarely used except in the context of oohed and aahed, with various spellings of the last word. According to this Google Ngram chart, aahed is the most frequent spelling, followed by ahhed and ahed.

I think the best resolution of this incongruity will be to class oohed and oohing as rare from now on. No doubt everybody, seeing one of these words, will understand what is meant, but some would think it's not a "proper" word, or that it should be written ooh-ed (as it sometimes is). In any case, I can't face dealing with future queries if I were to make aahed common while leaving ahed as rare. Aargh!
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 02:43:47 AM »
Aargh!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Alan! I was happy to discover that the relative frequency of argh has not changed over the years. The Aargh! link was dead, but I have updated it.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area