Author Topic: Remembrance Day  (Read 3084 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Remembrance Day
« on: November 09, 2014, 11:27:51 PM »
Just returned from the War Memorial near my home.  Very moving ceremony and huge turn out.  My Grandad was in the trenches during WW1.  My Dad was in the Army during WWII and was evacuated from Dunkirk.  My Mum was in the Women's Land Army.  One Uncle was at Monte Cassino and another was in the Navy in the North Atlantic convoys.  Thankfully they all survived but sadly none of them are with us now.  Remembrance Day is appropriate as it makes me appreciate what they, and so many others, endured for our freedom.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: Remembrance Day
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 05:53:39 AM »
My family too were incredibly lucky in both Wars and we were all grateful. I have quite a lot of information relating to one of my Grandfathers in the First War and I have been putting this onto a superb web site called Lives of the First world War which aims to remember as many of the participants in the war as possible from all Nations and all Forces and eventually the non combatant participants (one of my Grandmothers was a Munitions Worker- also known as a Canary Girl -and I hope to input information to mark her contribution) including Conscientious Objectors etc. I am trying to find out more about my other Grandfather too. I think it is important that we all remember the sacrifices our forebears made in order for us to live the lives that we do. It is also important that we all learn that such sacrifices need to be avoided in the future if at all possible. Nations and cultures need to live and work together whilst retaining their separate identities.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
Re: Remembrance Day
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »
We should all be thankful for and grateful to those who sacrificed so much in the war efforts.  Without them we would not have the many freedoms we all enjoy.

We should also recognize the peace makers who came afterwards.  A good and lasting peace can be quite elusive, many times imperfect, always difficult, but well worth the effort.
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)