Author Topic: Annoyances  (Read 11176 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Annoyances
« on: July 09, 2014, 08:42:21 PM »
Do any of these things happen to others or is it just to me?

1) click 'shuffle' to put some or all of the letters on the display; press 'shuffle' again to jumble them up and, hey presto! there are gaps in the display; one or more of the letters is /are not visible.

2) enter the first two letters of a word you want to play, and before you have time to type the next two letters receive one of the following messages 'word must contain at least four letters' or 'word must contain the 'D'

3) while using the shuffle facility get the 'sorry, SQXKJKLUB' not known' message even though you haven't clicked 'enter'

I've tried the usual remedies: I've sworn vehemently at my computer and promised it a damned good thrashing if it does it again, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Oh, seems to happen more when using the full screen.

>:( :'(

MK

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: Annoyances
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 11:08:30 PM »
I think that the one that bothers me most is when I have read a forum post and then go back to play but I can't type in the letters for a word. The first word I input has to be done using the mouse bar on my laptop. After one word it is fine to type letters and press enter. I am almost certain this was not the case when I first became a player but I have a rubbish memory so maybe not!!!

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 12:13:02 AM »
Mike, I find that the tiles go to the display but the letters aren't showing on them. It also happens if you type fast. I experience the other problems you mention when I play on the iPad but not the PC. As I've said before, if you're one of the players whose hit rate is of concern, don't play on an iPad!

Cmh, I think the problem you describe is because you've gone to another screen, so the game screen has lost the focus. Not sure what you mean by the mouse bar, but all I do is click anywhere onto the screen to bring the focus back to the game and then type my words in as normal.

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 01:01:03 AM »
Having just read your reply Pat I tried clicking on screen and yes it did allow me to type in the letters. Thank you. A computer has a mouse but a laptop has the pad with a clicker below. To me that is a mouse bar but I don't suppose it is an official name! I have no real computer skills - I just mess about and hope for the best!!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 11:29:01 PM »
I managed to solve all the problems I mentioned in my original post - I bought a new mouse! Everything is now tickety-boo again!

Obviously not the solution for those with mouseless devices - smartphones, tablets, phablets and whatever, but fine for the good old-fashioned desktop.

Just why a faulty mouse should cause these problems is beyond me, however.

MK

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 01:21:31 AM »
CMH - The Chi window has lost focus, but you don't have to use the inadequate mouse to change focus back to Chi.  I really can't blame you; I do not like the mouse substitutes they put into laptops.

Try using the <Alt><tab> to select which window has focus.
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 06:06:39 AM »
thank you a non amos but that was way above my head!!!!!  I have no idea what focus is in this context. Clicking "somewhere" on the screen has done the trick with my annoyance but I do  agree that laptops whilst handy are not as easy to use for those of us that struggle with both computer "logic" and in my case also with dexterity ( early arthritis!) I do appreciate the kind suggestions and help that the forum users so freely offer.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 01:44:53 AM »
Has anyone else found that the letters, especially on the Challenge and Standard puzzles, are very slow to respond?  I type away and the letters can't keep up with me.  Wonder if it's perhaps just my computer but this has only happened recently and has not been a problem before.  Also, I am finding that I am frequently clicking on a tab or a forum post and am taken to a very annoying advert page or a Chi visitor survey type thing!  Anyone else having these problems?

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 01:56:08 AM »
I have had the problem of letters being slow. It happens a fair amount, especially on my older laptop. My assumption is that there is some program or programs running in the background (such as my antivirus program) that are eating up computing resources. My laptop has only the bare minimum of memory and disk space available, and my browser (Chrome) is an incredible resource hog. Plus I experience the slowness when both RF and I are on our respective computers at the same time. I sometimes suspect my wireless connection of being less than stellar.

I have not experienced the other problem you describe. Perhaps your computer has been invaded by some sort of malware?
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 02:04:21 AM »
Yikes!  I hope not, RM.  My antivirus is up to date and tells me all is well and computer (which is far from old) went in for a health check fairly recently so hope it's ok. 

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 02:21:12 AM »
Maybe not real bad malware, but some kind of adware that inserted itself where it wasn't wanted.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 09:48:55 AM »
It certainly sounds like there's something wrong, Linda, if you're getting taken to ads or surveys from this site. The Chihuahua and forum sites have never carried any advertising (apart from the occasional tasteful notice about a new Chi book) or any visitor surveys (apart from the occasional survey created by a forumite, like T's survey about whether people wear pants or pant).

Has anyone else been having similar problems?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 03:11:56 PM »
I remember a short period probably five or more years ago, when the Forum was "attacked" by person(s) who joined Chihuahua most likely for the express purpose of posting extremely distasteful advertisements for whatever ugly product they were pushing.

This was at a time when there were fewer safeguards regarding those who could join Chihuahua.

Alan quickly dealt with this very annoying hijacking of the Forum by strenthening the procedure by which people can join Chihuahua.  Since that time, there have, happily, been NO recurrences of hijacking of the Forum.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 05:10:06 PM »

Also, I am finding that I am frequently clicking on a tab or a forum post and am taken to a very annoying advert page or a Chi visitor survey type thing!  Anyone else having these problems?

I have had similar problems in the past, not with Chi, but with other websites. Some of these things can slip through the net of even the best anti-virus programs.
I'm by no means a computer expert, but I've found that best way to get rid of such things is to do a system restore. - On Windows 7 it's very easy to do, it takes about five minutes.

If that doesn't work, it's probably time to call in the experts.

MK

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 07:25:25 PM »
Hmmm .... I will do a system restore and see if that improves matters.  In the meantime, I will keep an eye on things and will report anything unChilike!!  Thanks.