Author Topic: Annoyances  (Read 11177 times)

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: Annoyances
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 07:36:50 AM »
I also have problems with the letters being slow to respond (or not responding), or entering themselves in the wrong order. I'm clicking letters in one-fingered, on a tablet, so I know it's not just one finger working faster than another during normal typing. I may type in three letters before anything appears and then they appear randomly.

Does anyone know why sometimes I'm able to adjust the order of the letters after they've been played but at other times I'm not able to make them budge and so have to clear and retype?

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 10:28:58 PM »
I didn't know you could change the order of letters!

Thanks for pointing that out, Anona.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 02:06:01 AM »
I have just clicked on to the 9 a m letters game and was immediately directed to:

http://promo2.c-rewards.com/splash/lxc/en/sp25/default.asp

What's going on?

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 02:48:36 AM »
Sorry to say it, Linda, but I think the problem is with your computer. Somehow a virus must have crept in. Even the best virus checkers don't catch them all.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 02:57:05 AM »
As Rogue Mother has pointed out, you've obviously picked up a piece of adware / malware / spyware etc.

Normally a 'system restore' (or 'recovery' as they're now calling it on Windows) by setting your operating system back to a time before this thing latched on to you, will clear up the problem without affecting photos, documents ets stored on your hard-drive.

If you've tried that and it hasn't worked, then other than a full virus scan there's not much I can suggest.

Good luck!

MK

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 07:50:49 AM »
It would seem to be a problem on Linda's computer if she is the only one experiencing this issue, but it seems odd that it happened while she was already on the Chihuahua page and just clicking on another tab. A very sneaky intruder!
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 01:48:15 PM »
Linda: As RM says, very sneaky! It seems like something is hijacking your mouse click before the Chi script gets a chance to handle it.

I can't see signs of anything untoward on the Chi web server, so it does seem that the problem is likely to be on your computer. Have bad things been happening on any other sites, Linda?

anona: Unfortunately some things don't work so well on tablets and other touch screens. I didn't even know you could play using the virtual keyboard on an iPad until people mentioned it in this thread a few months ago. I made some changes to how that works, but it didn't seem to function at all in any of the Android browsers I tried. From what you say about typing in letters, it sounds like you're using the virtual keyboard to play, anona. What kind of tablet and browser are you using?

I've noticed in some browsers that the ability to drag letters is affected by zooming in on the page. This could be a bit of a catch 22 situation: if you're zoomed in enough to put your finger on a particular letter, the letter won't allow you to drag it anywhere.

blackrockrose: There are probably quite a few things that lots of players don't know about. This one - the ability to move letters around on the rack - isn't mentioned at all on the Help pages as far as I can see, but even if it was, most people don't look at Help screens unless they're having problems. I've been thinking for a while I should post an article "Ten things you probably didn't know you can do in Chihuahua."
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 05:43:40 PM »
Was just going to post a thank you for all your suggestions and clicked on post reply and got this:

http://consumer-response.info/unitedkingdom/121213.php?&c1=RAPUK1&c2=&t202kw=lexigame.com

I am going to try and get an expert in to sort this out!  Is the Lexigame survey a genuine thing?  Feel I have been well and truly invaded!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 08:27:52 PM »
No! This "survey" is absolutely nothing to do with me or the Lexigame website.

It seems to be connected with a spyware/adware scam called Nowlucky. You can find lots of complaints about it online. From what I understand, it's got itself installed as a browser plug-in, and just uses the name of any site you happen to visit. Maybe it cunningly identifies a site that you visit often, so that you'll be more likely to complete a survey.

I hope you didn't provide any credit card or banking details, Linda, because people complain that "subscriptions" are deducted, but of course no prizes are ever received.

The Web also has many sites offering advice on how to get rid of the Nowlucky spyware. But since these seem to often involve downloading some "spyware removal" program, they could lead you into more problems. You could try scanning your computer with the built-in Windows tool, called Windows Defender in Windows 7. Or with whatever anti-virus program you have on your computer.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 08:44:09 PM »
Many thanks, Alan.  I am on Windows 8 so will check out the possibilities of removing this unwanted invader!  No, I haven't provided any bank or credit card details and will be a bit wary of ordering anything online for a while until this is sorted out.  Thanks again.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2014, 11:50:54 PM »
Viruses are a real problem.  I had to call in tech help (my ever-patient and ever-helpful cousin) for another virus last week - Astromenda.  It installed itself as my search engine and brought me lots of pop-ups on any site I went to.  Even after he removed it from my main user accounts, I found it lying in wait in two other user-accounts.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 12:00:47 AM by birdy »