Author Topic: an elegant solution  (Read 3025 times)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
an elegant solution
« on: June 23, 2014, 12:28:17 PM »
A lovely lady requested that our Celtic band play for the reception after her wedding, depending on our price.

Our solution:  Pay us nothing.  Donate all proceeds to a food bank.  We don't have to be involved, and we do not need to know the amount donated.  We trust you.  We have a recommended donation level, very affordable, but they can do as the spirit moves.

Let's put the money where it might do some good?

- A

Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: an elegant solution
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 06:42:38 PM »
Our band usually waives the fee if the gig is for a good cause. We've been doing so for years.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 01:05:36 PM »
Pat, you have proven to us once again that you are not only extremely talented, but also a good and decent person.  This world needs more people like you.

It's also neat when a "for profit" gig can be turned on its ear, and become a charity event to benefit those who need it the most.

- A
Carpe digitus.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 01:34:15 AM »
Oh how I beg to differ, A.

First, I don't know where you got the idea that I'm extremely talented; I most definitely am not. Such 'talent' as I have, if it can be so called, is of very limited proportions indeed. From what you've told us about the audience reaction at your gigs, your band must be vastly superior to mine.

Second, although I consider myself to be a generally good and decent person I have far too many faults to imagine for a moment that the world might be a better place with more people like me!

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 01:47:33 PM »
Dear Pat, we might agree to disagree.

Most of the time we play for chirping crickets (this is literally true; we have a population of crickets).  On some occasions we get the chance to play for people.  They seem to like us more than the crickets do, but that opportunity is infrequent.

In terms of "superior" I don't think anyone has come up with a way to define that.  Some of the best in the business have tried to measure which groups are better than others, but their efforts are only good for humor.

Long story made short, I would like to listen to your group.

In terms of being a good and decent person, that does not mean without fault.  We all have our faults, and we all strive to overcome them.  You are playing gigs, investing your performance time and practice time, for worthy causes, gratis.

So far it really sounds to me like you qualify for the gold sticker, that you really are a good and decent person.

Feel free to disagree.
Carpe digitus.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 02:42:04 AM »
If you're playing for crickets, A, does that mean that the audience tends to be somewhat cricketal? (Sorry, really bad pun.)  :-\

As for disagreeing, how could I possibly when you put it so nicely? A note of thanks seems more appropriate, so thank you.