Author Topic: An interesting test of your English vocabulary  (Read 2965 times)

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
An interesting test of your English vocabulary
« on: June 22, 2014, 11:24:40 PM »
I have stumbled upon an interesting English vocabulary test, which is part of a study being run at the University of Ghent. They present you with a set of letter combinations (one at a time), which you indicate whether you recognize the combination as an English word or not. At the end of the test you can review various aspects of your personal results. You can take the test more than once.

I found the test by following links in a couple of blogs. One of the blog entries highlighted the gender differences for people who recognized various words. Modesty does not prevent me from sharing that first time through I recognized 96% of the real words and did not misidentify any of the non-words. I suspect that that my vocabulary is fairly gender neutral.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: An interesting test of your English vocabulary
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 01:19:13 AM »
That's fun and interesting, and I'm sure it helps the researchers as well.  Thanks for sharing!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 02:13:35 AM »
Modesty does not prevent me from sharing that first time through I recognized 96% of the real words and did not misidentify any of the non-words.

I dips my lid - I could only manage 80%.(3% non words).
Regards, Jack

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 06:58:40 AM »
According to the FAQ at the end of the test, older people tend to have higher scores than younger ones, so that likely had some bearing on my success. Once upon a time I was prematurely grey, but not anymore.

My score went down the second time through. They say that you get a completely different set of words each time, so there's no learning curve involved. It will be fun to keep at it.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

nineoaks

• Word-meister
  • Florence, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 09:09:27 AM »
Fun! Thanks RM

91%

Didn't choose any non-words.

Went on to take the word-association test too. Also fun!

nineoaks

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 09:35:06 PM »
89% the first time and 92% the second - that would have been higher but I hit the wrong key on one!

93% the third - again I hit the wrong key on the only non-word I chose.  The ones I missed:  the words for the metal bit on the end of a scabbard, a dessert common in Britain and New Zealand, and any of various anatomical structures that hook, clasp, or bind individual parts, as seeds or organs, together or in place.   That last was a quote from a dictionary!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 09:48:36 PM by birdy »

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 03:28:36 AM »
Good fun - 93%. Might have been higher - I rejected one word thinking wrongly that it should be capitalized. Some interesting words got thrown up - I look forward to the next opportunity to play 'tufa' in a Chi game!

MK ;)