Author Topic: Beating the clock  (Read 3907 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Beating the clock
« on: June 14, 2014, 06:06:20 PM »
Not a problem but a curiosity. A couple of times recently I've gone onto the 10-letter puzzle as soon as it opened only to find that someone already had dozens of words. I seem to remember that this used to happen quite often in the past and you, Alan, explained the reason for it and stopped it from happening. Seems it's started again.

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
Re: Beating the clock
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 06:31:11 PM »
I think it was something to do with setting the clock on your computer, wasn't it?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 11:13:41 PM »
I'm away from home at present, holidaying in Hong Kong, but I'll look into it in a few days.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 12:27:23 AM »
You kept that quiet, Alan! I hope you're having a wonderful time.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 02:21:27 PM »
There have been a few cases recently of someone starting to play a puzzle before it's meant to begin. The ten-letter puzzle has generally been the one concerned. I don't know whether this is the result of a deliberate effort or not. Anyhow, I've tightened things up a little. If anyone notices further instances of a player with lots of words as soon as a puzzle opens, please let me know.

It's probably not possible to completely prevent this sort of thing happening, without sacrificing some of the features I've deliberately built in to the site's operation. I want people to be able to continue playing if they lose their internet connection for any reason, and have their words submitted to the central scoreboard at the earliest opportunity. But this creates some vulnerabilities.

Yes, I had a good time thanks, pat. Here's a piccy of me on the ferry.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 06:39:29 PM »
Welcome back, Alan. And thanks for posting the pic.

I want people to be able to continue playing if they lose their internet connection for any reason, and have their words submitted to the central scoreboard at the earliest opportunity. But this creates some vulnerabilities.

If the occasional player sneaking in before the game starts is the worst that happens in order to keep things running smoothly then it's a small price to pay.