Author Topic: band matters  (Read 3206 times)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
band matters
« on: October 30, 2015, 01:54:27 PM »
So . . . we are putting an album together.

This is more work that it first appeared to be.  We have good recordings of about half enough material to make a decent CD.  We have enough material to finish this CD and most of the next, but not yet recorded (or not yet recorded well).

Scheduling has been a problem.  Hand injuries, back injuries, strep throat, and the need to take care of other matters has limited our time for practice and for recording.

Last weekend the guitar player called out (would not be there for practice).  Normally, when any one of us is absent it means the entire practice is cancelled.  This time the fiddler and I decided to get together and work on a new tune.

We tried a few different arrangements, then hit on one that we liked.  After a few iterations, we got it to the point where it was listenable.

After we got it right, we played this for our worst (best) critic.  She told us that most people have to actually practice to make it sound that good.

The guitarist does not know we met in her absence, and does not know we have a new tune.

Our plan is to spring this on her, pretending that it is a new tune for everyone.  We take a passing glance at the sheet music, nod our heads, and put it down.  We then play the tune with a suitable intro (which is not on the score), and watch her face as we play this delicate tune with full harmonies.

Let's see how it works.  I am guessing we might have another tune for the first CD.
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: band matters
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 09:47:41 AM »
Congratulations!  I love music.  I have over 1200 CDs.  But I always wished I could play music.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 01:22:10 AM »
But I always wished I could play music.

Go for it. It's never too late to learn.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 02:05:35 PM »
How true!

Except for some drumming, I started playing real music after the age of 50.
Carpe digitus.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 03:45:04 PM »
Earlier today I talked with a friend at work.  He has much more musical talent than I do.  He is rather awesome.

A pair of ladies at his church wanted to learn how to play cello.  A month later they were playing in public, and sounding good.

One is in her late 60s, the other in her early 70s.

Pat is right.  It's never too late to learn.
Carpe digitus.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 03:23:53 PM »
A couple weeks ago we had a very bad practice.  Every band member was having a bad day, simultaneously.  If you play together long enough this will happen.

Nothing breeds success like success, but nothing breeds failure like the fear of another failure.

I came up with a plan.  We are introducing two new tunes, one old-time country and the other classical.  Keep them too busy to think about (or worry about) what went wrong the last time.  Keep it well within their reach, but challenge them.  It does take some preparation ahead of time.

It worked rather well.  This was some of the prettiest playing we have ever done.  There were some problems to work through, times when we were not playing together and the like, but that gave us an immediate challenge to work on, and we ironed everything out.  In the end we made something beautiful (for both tunes).

I think this was the first practice in which our Celtic band played nothing Celtic.  Celtic music is very good, but having a variety is not a bad thing.
Carpe digitus.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 02:36:40 PM »
It should be said that one bad practice does not make a bad band.  What did we learn from that?

Long story made short, other practices and performances were better.  Not spotless, but had the "wow" factor.

- A
Carpe digitus.