Author Topic: kitchen  (Read 3521 times)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
kitchen
« on: June 12, 2014, 02:08:04 PM »
After all these long years, I am getting a kitchen!

We got a few quotes on various designs, and then we went to the place I had dreamed of (but had assumed was too expensive).  They came in with a quote that was better than most, using far better materials with a far better design.  Sold.

The lady came in to take measurements, took one look at it, and commented "Oh my, you really have been making do!"  (true enough!)

We have zero usable countertop space, and storage is always a problem.

The lady then commented "Well, I assume you have not won any cooking competitions in here!"  My lovely wife quickly corrected her.  We have both won cooking competitions, but she admitted that I was the better cook.

She got the picture that we can both cook, that we like to cook, but we need a better place to do it.  That's exactly what she designed for us.

Now it's only a simple matter of procuring the bank loan, tearing everything out, having new stuff made, installing it, dealing with problems as they arise, living in a construction zone, and ordering a lot of take-out.  What could possibly go wrong?

- A
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: kitchen
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 02:46:25 PM »
My previous kitchen sounds like it might compete with yours.  In spite of that, I was able to do a fair amount of baking in it.  But it was a grand excuse not to do any serious cooking, since I feel it's a waste of time to slave over the preparation of a meal when I could just as easily go out, or open a can.  You can tell I'm not much interested in meal preparations - except for dessert, of course.

Good luck with the project, A.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 04:50:42 AM »
Good Luck with your project A.  A new kitchen is very exciting even if, like me, you're not a very adventurous cook! As a very indecisive person it took me ages to decide what to store in each of the cupboards ???
I'm with you on the subject of desserts Birdy (or puds as we like to call them).  When my friend & I go out for a meal we always look at the pudding menu first and this dictates what we have for our main meal >:D
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 03:19:08 PM »
The new kitchen is lovely, and much more functional than what we had.

At work the upper management has decided to close our site.  This has divided our people into three groups.  Some are going to Germantown, others are going to Indianapolis, and some are being let go.  It's hard to say goodbye.

One of our last hurrahs is the Thanksgiving pot-luck feast.  I am considering a mixed vegetable curry.  No, there will be no garam masala.

- A
Carpe digitus.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 01:19:38 AM »
"The times, they are a'changin'".  Sorry to hear of the upset for you and your colleagues, a non-amos.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 01:02:48 PM »
A wrenching time for you and your co-workers! I hate to think that you and Mrs. A might have to leave your new kitchen. If you end up moving, I selfishly hope it will be to Germantown, which would make it much easier for another meet-up.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 02:40:05 PM »
Thanks for the words of support RM and Birdy, but my path has been chosen for me.  The latest news appears to be that I am "none of the above".

As much as I would like to have another meet-up with RM and RF, I shall remain here in Roanoke (working from home).

That does not preclude another meet-up, but it does make it more difficult.

I could not imagine a meet-up being anything less than edifying and inspirational. 

- A
Carpe digitus.