Author Topic: hello Bobbi,  (Read 83918 times)

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: hello Bobbi,
« Reply #195 on: November 04, 2007, 03:56:28 PM »
My daughter was discharged yesterday. She's at home with her partner, still in a lot of pain.
She's keen to come up to Auckland for a visit - some R&R to be provided by mum and dad, and also the annual family ceremonial burning of the disposable income (a.k.a Guy Fawkes.) We tend to go a bit potty. The authorities keep on threatening to ban the sale of fireworks so each year we set of heaps just in case it's the last time  :D
My Oral Presentation is coming up on the 7th. After that I'm on holiday until March 2008! Whoo-hoo!

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2007, 04:10:58 PM »
Let's hope your daughter is well on the way to recovery now, Bobbi. Good luck with the presentation, and try to concentrate until the holiday arrives!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2007, 11:34:54 PM »
That's brilliant news bobbi.....'there's no place like home' [what a fab line for a film that would be !!!] for some R&R [unless it's my Mums.] It will be just what she needs...

Keep practicing your oral presentation, it pays dividends i always found.
I always jot down the key points on small index cards to help me stay on track, in case i stumble...and to make sure i remember everything.
I hope it goes well for you mate. Fingers crossed and all that !

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 04, 2007, 11:42:01 PM »
Oh, bobbi, I hope your daughter keeps trying ... rough stuff, there.

Have a "blast" shooting those fireworks -- I wish I were there for the fun.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 09, 2007, 08:56:25 PM »
Hi bobbi,
Well, are you all done now, and finished....???
How was your oral presentation???

How is your daughter...??

Come on, all your news mate, we've missed you...

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 10, 2007, 09:11:56 PM »
Are you still out there, bobbi? We've been talking about you -- Alan went to NZ so we speculated you may have crossed paths.

Are you well? Studies still on track? We've missed you!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 13, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »
Hello, again, bobbi! We've missed you. Do you have time to catch up a bit. I'm about ready for nightey-night, but would sure love hearing what's going on in your (very) busy life!

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 16, 2007, 08:18:16 AM »
Hi there ladies,

Studies are over for the year. Just waiting for results now. I think they'll be out on Monday. Holding thumbs I did well enough to get the scholarship I applied for last month. Uni fees aren’t much here - about $5000 per year. The scholarship’s $3000 p.a. and is renewable for a maximum of 3 years meaning I could even get them to fund honours if invited.  Having a busy time all the same catching up with all the stuff that's got away from from me this year. I let a lot of things slide to make time for study.

First up - now frantically rehearsing for the Xmas choral concert.

I sing in 2 choirs - one is a small women's group called Colla Voce Ensemble, and the other is the much more robust North Shore 100 Voice Chorale. Colla Voce have decided to disband after 22 years after the 9th December, and our swansong will be a modest guest appearance at the two 100 Voice Chorale Xmas performances on Sunday the 9th.   http://www.100voice.org.nz/

So, singing in the main choir (including a solo verse of In Dulce Jubilo – bit terrifying, but our director assured me it’s not because I have a stunning voice – I don’t. But the timing is horrible, and Margot says she can rely on me because I can count. Hope I don’t lose it due tonerves though Also singing 2 carols with the guest choir mentioned above, plus doing a rendition of “A Winter’s Tale” with a one-off gaggle of girls from 100 Voice. That’s quite a lot of extra rehearsals and memorising to squeeze in. I’ve rather left it all to the last minute because of study commitments, so feeling a bit frantic about getting it all done to perfection.

I’m planning to join the North Shore Camerata next year in lieu of CVE. Their Xmas concert is this Saturday night – will take my Milly along – she’s always keen for an outing. http://www.nscamerata.co.nz/index.html

Daughter Caroline’s out of hospital, and just managing to keep out. She’s really not at all well. At a bit of a loss as to what to suggest that will be helpful. From what I can see, she’s not doing anything silly to cause these extremely high blood sugars.

Our international student’s gone to Phuket with her mum for a week. We met mum last week – a really sweet but confused looking lady. She can’t speak a word of English, and as my Portuguese stretches to not much beyond obrigado, our conversation was stilted with Paula as translator. Mum then goes back home to Brazil and Paula’s with us for a further fortnight.

I saw Alan had come to South Island for a holiday. It's a beautiful place! The locals fondly call it The Mainland. As a tourist it's definitely the better option. North Island (what an original bunch we Kiwis are,) basically has the same type of rainforest/bush vegetation apart from a small plateau in the centre of the island which is semi-desert scrub around a couple of active volcanoes. South Island has it all: forest, bush, tussock land, alpine vegetation, snow-capped mountains, sweeping mountain passes, glaciers, the lot! And it's possible to capture several in one photo. I'm sure he and Viz had a superb time.

Better get on with the day. Hope you're all well and happy. XXX

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 16, 2007, 10:00:10 AM »
What a talented and very busy lady you are bobbi....my goodness, how do you find time to have a pee???
You make me feel possitively bone idle, and knackered...both at the same time...

Fingers crossed for your results...i'm sure your dedication and fortitude will have paid off, and you will pass with flying colours....and deservedly so...
All the same...all the best...
Take care mate..

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #204 on: November 16, 2007, 10:57:42 AM »
Good luck with your results, bobbi. I'm sure you deserve good marks, with all the efforts you've put in.

What you mention about being able to see so many landscape features together (as in the attached photo) was one of the things that struck us about NZ. In Aus you can see a snow-capped mountain, but you probably have to travel a few hundred km from the coast to get there.

Despite the magnificent scenery on the South Island, as a city-lover, I'd still like to visit Auckland and other places on the North Island some day. I get the impression you'd see a lot more Maori culture and more of NZ's cosmopolitan side there.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 16, 2007, 12:37:17 PM »
Smart, talented, beautiful and hard-working -- what a woman you are, bobbi!

A fount of endless surprises. I am in awe!

jane@manutd

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 16, 2007, 07:20:54 PM »
Good luck with the results Bobbi  :) I'm sure they will be fine!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 16, 2007, 08:20:56 PM »
Nice piccy Viral.....thanks for showing us and making us all sick as parrots and pis*ed off for the rest of the day....!!!  :-\

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 17, 2007, 12:11:59 PM »
Hi bobbi,
How was the musical?
Did you have a good time after all?

Hope you're okay, and that your daughter is on the mend....

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 18, 2007, 10:35:58 AM »
Hi there,

The musical was so, so. The play was well staged, and Ellie Smith did a terrific job portraying Judy Garland in the final burnt out year of her drug and alcohol-ridden life. According to the programme notes, the set doctor began feeding her a cocktail of uppers and downers during filming to keep her at optimal performance alertness when she was only 15! Talk about child abuse!

Anyway, the music was not really my thing, hubby's neither. The highlight of the evening was bumping into old friends at interval and going out for coffee together after the show.

I've seen a couple of really enjoyable musical films this year. Hairspray was terrific! Funny, slick and with the added bonus of seeing John Travolta in drag having the time of his life. His delight was simply infectious. We then saw 'High School the Musical 2' which aired on the Disney channel a few weeks later. We watched No. 1 last year at its first airing much to my family's amusement. They all thoroughly enjoyed that too, much to their surprise. But as daughter no.1 said at the time to her amazed boyfriend who couldn't believe he was spending a Saturday night watching Disney Channel: Mum has a nose for cult classics.

F'rinstance, we were all reading Harry Potter from the public library in first edition back in 1998. That was the year we had the pleasure of reading a great book and then being able to get the sequel out of the library the following day.

Just got the brochure for the 2008 ATC (Auckland Theatre Company) offerings. They do 8 plays a year. The  final one is always a musical. Next year's looks fantastic - about an American Spelling Bee. We saw the documentary Spellbound at a film festival a years ago, and really enjoyed that. It was such fun, it made it onto the regular film circuit here the following year. So I'm looking forward to next year's musical - looks like a hoot! The centre play is a 'classic.' This year they did The Crucible. Next year they're doing Cat on a Hot Tin Roof which has to be one of the dullest classics in the repertoire. It may be brilliant social commentary, but I find it boring. Think we'll give it a miss. I really hope they go back to Shakespeare in 2009!

Of course, one of the quirkiest and finest musicals originated in New Zealand in the 70's: Richard O'Brien's The Rocky Horror Picture Show. ATC reprised that a couple of years ago (2004?) to honour its 30th anniversary. Richard O'Brien grew up in Hamilton - where daughter no.2 now lives.

As usual, a lot of typing, so better stop and make tea for Milly who will be back from mass shortly.

Kisses XXX