Author Topic: Challenge 25 March - possible spoiler!  (Read 2677 times)

rhino

• Word-meister
  • Sydney, Australia
    • MSN Messenger - rhinoserenity@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Challenge 25 March - possible spoiler!
« on: March 25, 2014, 08:13:32 AM »
Alan, this is a sincere plea to make the word "intranet" common rather than rare.

Also, while we are on the IT theme, you were extremely diligent in (re)classifying various terms such as "login", however "logon" is not included in this category, and I believe it should have the same status as "login".

Over to you and the Forumites ...
Obsessive rhinophile

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge 25 March - possible spoiler!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 01:11:44 PM »
Alan, this is a sincere plea to make the word "intranet" common rather than rare.

My normal inclination is not to reclassify any rare word to common, but I couldn't find fault with intranet being treated as a common word.

Also, while we are on the IT theme, you were extremely diligent in (re)classifying various terms such as "login", however "logon" is not included in this category, and I believe it should have the same status as "login".

I've often wondered about the login/logon discrepancy. In my technical writing, I often debate as to which one I should use.

Rosella

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 09:59:37 AM »
Quote from: TRex on Yesterday at 12:11:44 PM: I've often wondered about the login/logon discrepancy. In my technical writing, I often debate as to which one I should use. (

Perhaps 'logon' to the your computer and 'login' to favourite sites?

Rosella

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 09:59:52 AM »
Quote from: TRex on Yesterday at 12:11:44 PM: I've often wondered about the login/logon discrepancy. In my technical writing, I often debate as to which one I should use.

Perhaps 'logon' to the your computer, and 'login' to favourite sites?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 02:17:16 PM by Rosella »

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 11:32:42 AM »
For what it's worth, the COD shows logon  / login as completely interchangeable, (as it also does with 'logoff' and 'logout'); whatever, they should both have the same status.

As for 'intranet', I think this word is familiar to well-read native speakers of English in all parts of the English-speaking world (my personal definition of 'common'). Ergo, common should it be, imho.

MK