Author Topic: Strangest pets!  (Read 11327 times)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Strangest pets!
« on: June 10, 2007, 11:41:06 PM »
Ok, gang, now that we've sorted out the cats vs. dogs, how about the

weirdest pets
anyone has ever kept? This can't be a poll, or at least I don't know how to list this in categories, since they're really unpredictable.

I mean, we could come up with gnus, giraffes, wildebeest or dik-diks.

The most exotic one I've ever had was a horned/horny toad, which are nearly gone from the deserts here. He was cool, though. We kept him one winter and released him in the spring. The kids spent hours staring at him whilst he spent hours staring back. He was little bit reminiscent of the dinosaur-age.

Let's see what you've all got!

Cheers,  ;D
3-B

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: Strangest pets!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 02:33:15 AM »
Sea monkeys..
they are our latest editions ...very odd...
They have been mating for weeks now...and i don't mean on and off...literally joined together for nearly 4 weeks...randy little plankton type things.....[lucky sods...]
Our other pets are Mountain Minnows...they had babies last year...[...don't visit our house..you may get pregnant too...it's a very fertile house...]
And we have a pet snail....
Now there's a story....
I was told that snails always go back to where they came from. deciding to test that theory i painted the shells of 2 snails with tippex and took them for a walk and deserted them about 100 yards away on a nearby disused railway trackside..3 months later it was sitting[?] by my back door....Off i went again   ...and the following spring it was back again...
There you go...much more original  than snakes or lizard etc...
 :angel:

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 03:51:15 AM »
That was certainly different, T, but why am I not surprised given your very colorful and eclectic personality. I always thought sea monkeys were a big fake, or that they were so small you couldn't really see them. When I was a kid they had ads in the paper that you could send away for them, but I couldn't imagine what they really were, so you've cleared that one up a bit.

The pet snail story was cool. You are such a scientific techie person, the experiment was clever.

No escargot tonight? Sorry. Couldn't resist.  >:D

Cheers,
3-B  ;)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 04:25:49 AM »
Just come back from a glorious afternoon in Ambleside ... had to chip in with weirdest pets ...when I was a v. little girl (still am heightwise ... girth is expanding somewhat) I kept a pet bluebottle in a Coke bottle!  His name was Archie and I would feed him with blades of grass and breadcrumbs ... poor sod!  Anyway, Archie only lasted a few hours ... I smashed the bottle and my darling little brother stepped on him!  Tragic end!   >:D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 04:43:30 AM »
I looked up bluebottle on google, and it said a bluebottle was a Portuguese man-o-war. Is that right?
You kept a Portuguese man-o-war in a coke bottle! How big WAS it?

Sorry it suffered such a miserable fate! Ouch!

Was your brother guilt-ridden? Or did you just give him a swat?

;)
3-B

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 04:48:35 AM »
Oh 3B ... what a larf!!!   :D  A bluebottle is a LARGE FLY with bluey green wings and it buzzes a lot!!! Sorry to disappoint you that my 'pet' was not more exotic!!!  My brother felt no remorse whatsoever and I still remind him of his cruelty to this day ... not that I bear a grudge, of course!!!   >:D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 06:39:22 AM »
Sounds like the bluebottle was like what we call here a horsefly. It's nearly as big as a bee, and really buzzes loudly.

When I was a kid, one morning I woke up and found a dead fly in my EAR! Now that was almost as awful as discovering a scorpion in your boot!

Cheers. ;D

P. S -  I'm glad you don't hold grudges, Linda  ;D - sweet little angel ( >:D ) oops,  :angel: that you are!

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 03:52:21 PM »
Once upon a time, many, many years ago, a little girl named Binkie was living in Merrie Olde Englande.
At that time, most towns had at least one picturesque* character called a Rag and Bone Man. He would travel the streets with his horse and cart, uttering his cheery cry...."Rah-boh !"  Although Binkie is very, very old, the Rag and Bone man no longer collected bones, but he still collected rags, and any other unwanted items. Oh how excited Binkie was when she heard him and his horse! You see, sometimes the R & B man would give little children a present, if they brought out enough interesting things for him. The time before, Binkie had not managed to get a present. This was probably because her Mummy refused to let her give the Rag and Bone Man any of the old china which was in a cabinet and nobody ever used. Binkie thought this was very unfair, even when Mummy explained that it was Widgewood and  Micen.
   On this occasion, though, the Rag and Bone Man said that Binkie could have a REAL goldfish if she brought him something. She ran back inside and begged and pleaded until her Mummy sighed and found some old sheets, a saucepan with a hole in it, and the deckchair Binkie broke playing Pirates.
Out to the Rag and Bone Man she went, and waited, all atremble.........and sure enough, he grinned and said "All right, girlie, you shall have your goldfish!"
He bent over a big box on the cart, and after a moment or two, he brought out a glass jam jar with a beautiful orange goldfish swimming round and round! He then jumped on the cart, twitched the reins, and off went the horse and cart at a gallop.
Binkie clutched the precious jar with its circling fish, and as she watched, it began to slow down. Slower and slower it went until finally it stopped and floated gently up to the surface, where it lay looking peaceful.
Binkie didn't believe Mummy when she was told that it was a dead goldfish.....even when Mummy showed her how the Rag and Bone Man must have swirled the water round with a pencil to make the fish spin. In fact she kept swirling her fish for several days until he went a funny colour and started to pong.
Poor Binkie ! She has never forgotten that fish, and if it happened today, she would no doubt sue the Rag and Bone Man for millions, just to make up for the pain and suffering.   :'(

* In my family, this is always pronounced "pictureskwee"

Cheers All     :D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 07:37:29 PM »
Sniff    :'( sniff... :'(
 :'(    sniff    :'(    Poor Binks...what a sorry tale of woe that was... :'(  :'(

On a lighter note..we always pronounce it..picktureskqueue...
You say potatoes and i say potatoes...Da de da de da...{sounds like it could be a line for a funny song!!!}

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 08:19:59 PM »
Dickens lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angel:

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 08:23:26 PM »
WHO THE DICKENS ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT NOW??

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 08:43:18 PM »
my pet archaeopteryx, silly! ;D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 08:49:54 PM »
My dinosaur has to wear glasses...
he's a 'doyouthinkhesawus'...

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 01:10:53 AM »
As the children were growing up we went through the gammut of common pets, but now we only have cats and dogs.  However, we seem to end up with the strangest dogs.

A few years ago we had a dog that ate the cast iron drain cover in the basement.  He gnawed it away until there was not much left.

Funny that BBB should mention having a dik-dik as a pet.  I do happen to own one, and I am quite attached to it, but would not really call it a pet.  ;) >:D
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 03:04:07 AM »
That's amazing, A! How did you get to keep a dik-dik -- did you need a special permit? They're really cute! What's its name? So many questions. I'm so curious -- tell me more, please!  :D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 03:06:32 AM by biggerbirdbrain »