Author Topic: Southern Sky  (Read 4969 times)

nineoaks

• Word-meister
  • Florence, Oregon
    • View Profile
Southern Sky
« on: March 17, 2014, 03:42:22 AM »
Dear Chi-folk:

We're getting on an airplane tomorrow and flying to New Zealand! I know it's not nearly as adventurous as GC's travel plan, but I'm excited anyway.

We'll be there about a month and will be driving around in a camper van. My husband, the Organized One, has created a provisional itinerary for us, but just thought I'd ask the more knowledgeable of you down there on the other side of the equator (and the International Date Line!): recommendations? I know there are too many beautiful and interesting possibilities to visit in a month and we have done our homework, but still: suggestions?

Ready to gaze at the southern sky,

nineoaks

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Sky
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 06:33:15 AM »
Hi Nineoaks

Don't have any helpful suggestions but would just like to wish you a wonderful trip.  It sounds amazing!  Bon Voyage Hobbit :-C
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

rhino

• Word-meister
  • Sydney, Australia
    • MSN Messenger - rhinoserenity@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 07:55:14 AM »
Sooooooo many things to see and do in NZ!! Too many to list here - just have fun and see as much as you can ...
Obsessive rhinophile

city17 dweller

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 08:12:45 AM »
We spent three weeks in NZ (not quite long enough) and although we loved the tropical feel of the North Island, most of the memorable highlights were on South Island ... whale watching in Kaikoura (we stayed in the Old Convent B&B which I recommend, if still there, and you fancy a night out of the camper van), seeing the blue penguin colony at Omauru, and Akaroa which is the most charming place we've ever been.  We also really regretted not seeing the glow-worm caves at Waitomo, but didn't have time and if we could go back (unlikely) would definitely do that.  Generally, just driving and enjoying the gorgeously quiet atmosphere and having the scenery almost always to ourselves except when staying with family/friends was a blast.

Enjoy your holiday, it's a truly fantastic place to visit and *very* easy to fall in love with.

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 08:21:17 AM »
Milford Sound, Fox Glacier, Mount Cook? They're probably already on your itinerary, but are certainly unmissable. If I were going, I'd also try to help the economy of post-earthquake Christchurch by spending some time there, and taking a look at the temporary cardboard cathedral. You are going to have the most fantastic holiday.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 08:57:19 AM »
I do have some general advice, although I have not yet been to NZ.

Please reserve some time to do some personal exploration on your own.  Do no "only" see the designated attractions.  It's your trip, so you need to make it yours.  Go out and find something off the beaten path.  You might be surprised by what you discover.

:)
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 12:09:30 PM »
If you have time, there's an island off the west coast of New Zealand that's worth a visit - it's called Australia.  :laugh:
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 12:40:54 AM »
If you have time, there's an island off the west coast of New Zealand that's worth a visit - it's called Australia.  :laugh:

Heh heh. I'm probably too late, but have a great time, 9O.

nineoaks

• Word-meister
  • Florence, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 03:28:29 AM »
Dear Chi-ites:

Thanks! so much for all the good wishes.

Blackrockrose, Pat (happy birthday!) and City17dweller: thanks so much for your good wishes, thoughts and suggestions--much appreciated.

A-non: Not to worry--each summer we explore the Sierra Nevada by map and compass, off the beaten (or any!) path, we've bicycled across Spain and walked across England without much of a plan and the New Zealand itinerary has plenty of non-scheduled days to use as the inspiration strikes...

...and Alan. We have heard tell of that island you mention...but we think that it deserves its own trip, don't you? :laugh:

yours, 9O

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 04:27:46 AM »
My husband and I went there this past June on our honeymoon! It was incredible. We stuck to the north island, and didn't have an entire month to take everything in like you do. Some highlights from our trip included Hobbiton, Wai-o-tapu Thermal Wonderland, and Lake Taupo. If you're feeling adventuresome, we also really enjoyed the Adrenaline Forest in the Wellington area. We were amazed by the diversity in the scenery that New Zealand is able to pack into such a small space.

nineoaks

• Word-meister
  • Florence, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 05:54:25 AM »
Thanks, Anonsi for your post. It sounds as though you picked the perfect honeymoon spot.

...and best wishes as you start your married life,

nineoaks

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 02:05:18 PM »
Its been almost 25 years since I was in NZ.  I was there leading a group of 43 U. students on Semester Abroad.  One of the highlights for me was a Hangi, a traditional Maori feast, at Rotorua.  Very entertaining, if they still do that.  I highly recommend it.  We spent a week on the North Island, 3 months in Australia, and then ten days on South Island.  I loved every minute (all 3 places).  I would love to go back.
Stevens Point, WI

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 09:19:21 AM »
If you have time, there's an island off the west coast of New Zealand that's worth a visit - it's called Australia.  :laugh:
Save West Island for a separate visit in the future  ;p
Most of it is barren desert, but there are a couple of interesting spots to explore on the fringes.