Author Topic: Another "s" word  (Read 6886 times)

rhino

• Word-meister
  • Sydney, Australia
    • MSN Messenger - rhinoserenity@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Another "s" word
« on: February 28, 2014, 07:20:53 PM »
In one of today's Your Puzzles, I was surprised to find that "summons" was rejected as unknown. If you receive "a summons" to appear in court etc, it is in the singular form and I believe therefore worthy of classification as a common in its own right. As far as I know, the word "summon", without the "s", is only used as a verb.
Obsessive rhinophile

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: Another "s" word
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 07:57:10 PM »
The plural form 'summonses' could (in theory) be a Chi 9-letter word, depending on whether it's rated common or not. There's also the verb 'to summons' which would have the passive form 'to be summonsed';

Obviously related to 'summon', but quite distinct since it's used (I believe) only in a legal sense.

MK

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 10:00:58 PM »
As far as I know, the word "summon", without the "s", is only used as a verb.

That's why it probably won't be accepted - summons is the third person singular of the verb.

rhino

• Word-meister
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 08:28:45 AM »
The main word in that puzzle was "summonsing", adding weight to its extension from "summons" rather than "summon" ...
Obsessive rhinophile

rhino

• Word-meister
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 04:18:56 PM »
While we're on the subject of "s" words, in another Your Puzzle, I have just tried "trappings" which I believe should also have a case for acceptance as a common ...
Obsessive rhinophile

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 04:39:40 PM »
As far as I know, the word "summon", without the "s", is only used as a verb.

That's why it probably won't be accepted - summons is the third person singular of the verb.

I've never understood this rule, if that is a rule.  After all, "pants" is accepted, and that can be a verb as well.

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 05:33:02 PM »
I agree that summons should be allowed in Chi, but I'm not so sure about trappings.  When we talk about 'the trappings of office' for example, aren't we referring to more than one thing?  To me, that implies plurality.   

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
There's also the verb 'to summons' which would have the passive form 'to be summonsed';

As far as I know there's no verb 'to summons', Mike. A summons is issued to summon a person to court. Summons is a singular noun and I think it should be allowed, even though it's an inflection of the verb.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 03:18:42 AM »
I beg to disagree, Pat, but Chambers and COD both show 'summons' as noun and verb;

and also:

'But Mother had turned a bit awkward
When she thought where her Albert had gone.
She said 'No, someone's got to be summonsed!'
So that was decided upon.'

from 'Albert and the Lion' written by Marriott Edgar and immortalized by Stanley Holloway

MK

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 03:31:58 AM »
Then I stand corrected.

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
Re: Another "s" word - trappings
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 04:13:37 AM »
Back to trappings.  It is listed as a plural noun, but I wonder if you can find a usage with "a trapping of success."  Used as showing something that accompanies something else (e.g., saddle and harnesses) you just don't find the singular trapping used.  Instead, trapping inevitably is used in the sense of holding, such as success in trapping beavers.  Would that qualify it as a Chi word?  I don't know the rules that well, but it would seem logical to me to allow it.
Stevens Point, WI