Author Topic: Nite (and variants)  (Read 1690 times)

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Nite (and variants)
« on: February 15, 2014, 10:13:33 AM »
Given that nite is accepted in Chi as an informal spelling of night, I was a bit surpised that midnite wasn't accepted in yesterday's Challenge puzzle.  It seems logical to me that, if nite is acceptable, then its variants (midnite, tonite etc.) should also be acceptable.

To be honest, I don't like seeing words like nite and lite in Chi.  As far as I'm concerned, they are not legitimate spellings.  However, I accept (grudgingly) that they have become part of the language.     

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Nite (and variants)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 04:18:41 PM »
I don't remember ever seeing the midnite version of midnight, or tonite, for that matter.

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 06:51:20 PM »
I've only ever seen them (nite and lite included) in advertising and marketing material where they're deliberately misspelt for effect.  Hence my contention that they're not legitimate spellings.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 05:05:31 PM »
It seems a bit odd to respond to a six-year-old suggestion, only to turn it down. But since I log all requests on the Word List Suggestions page, I want to remove suggestions I've decided not to keep, and it would feel a bit sneaky just to mark it closed without responding to this thread.

Nite is in several dictionaries. Midnite is in Wiktionary, but in no others that I could see. Tonite is already accepted in Chi, but that may be on account of it being the name of an explosive used in quarrying. I haven't checked on "weeknite", "overnite", etc, but I doubt they would qualify for our word list.

That's it. Good nite.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites