Author Topic: New Letterbox site  (Read 2070 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Letterbox site
« on: February 10, 2014, 04:14:42 PM »
We talk a lot on the Forum about Chihuahua, but hardly ever mention my first online word game, Letterbox.

I first launched the Letterbox website in 2002, and people have been playing ever since. However in recent times more and more people have run into obstacles loading the game, because of the Java language it was written in. To get around these problems, I've re-built the site using standard Web technologies, so it should run in any current Web browser.

The all-new Letterbox site has gone live today, at the same address, http://letterbox.lexigame.com/. You can get to it easily from the Forum, because there's a link near the top of every Forum page.

If you've visited the Letterbox site recently you may need to refresh the page to see the updated version. If you've been a regular Letterbox player in the past, you may notice that I've dropped the options previously available - I've no reason to believe anyone wanted those options. So you can't choose the skill level of your computer opponent (it's high) or the letter selection method (it's the original scheme of selection without replacement from a pool of 102 letter "tiles") or whether the Q comes with a U attached (it does).

If you're one of the handful of people who've managed to keep playing the old version, and you prefer to keep playing that, you can find it now at http://letterbox.lexigame.com/javaversion.

A big bonus with the new design is that the same website can be used on smartphones, tablets and probably various other portable devices. The screen layout adjusts itself automatically to the screen size and orientation. Already, on day 1, I've had an email from someone reporting that the game "works great" on her iPad. None of the i-gadgets have ever supported Java, so Letterbox was previously out of the question for users of those Apple devices.

As always, I'd be extremely grateful to learn of any issues or suggestions.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites