Author Topic: Birdy, you're the best host ever!  (Read 8870 times)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Birdy, you're the best host ever!
« on: February 09, 2014, 10:15:47 PM »
Just wanted to let our forumites know what a great host our regular, birdy, was to me on my trip to the east coast! Made me walk my butt off, touring the lower east side, Brooklyn and the 9/11 memorial! Birdy, you were magnificent -- treated me to breakfast, crossed the Brooklyn bridge, and enjoyed the beautiful views and weather. Thanks again, birdy -- YOU ROCK!

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: Birdy, you're the best host ever!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 10:30:16 PM »
Any photos of the two of you, Threeb?

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 11:05:08 PM »
Sounds fantastic, threeb!  Photos please.  We are going to Rome end of April - silver wedding anniversary treat!!  Ciao!  >:D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
Sorry, no pictures of us, folks. Birdy was very shy that way, I couldn't get a good shot. I posted a bunch from the trip on Facebook, but later, my camera drowned in a river in Pennsylvania. Too funny, really. Too sad, as well. Anyway, Linda, enjoy your wonderful anniversary trip -- I know you will love Rome. I did. Also I visited Florence, which is also very romantic -- remember, DAVID is there!!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 11:44:22 PM »
Bowie?!!  >:D

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 11:57:09 PM »
As long as it's not Cameron!

I'm going on a completely different trip from yours at the end of March, Linda. I'm going beating off yellow fever mozzies in Trinidad and Tobago, admiring our feathered friends. I know you'd love it!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:02:05 AM by pat »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 01:39:46 AM »
Oh Pat that sounds wonderful.  When I read about the trips that Forumites make all over the world I wish I wasn't terrified of flying :( I last flew when I was 15 (about a 100 years ago!) and vowed it would be the last time.  I am scared of heights and think it's all linked in.  It's all very well people saying don't look out of the window but, unfortunately, my brain still knows there are several thousand feet between me and the ground!  I have a long suffering friend who holidays with me every year.  We go to different bits of Europe by train.  Later in the year we're off to Avignon :) When I win the lottery I'm off on a cruise to Oz to watch cricket & look up all the Forumites down under >:D
Linda, have a wonderful time in Rome. Give the Pope a wave!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 03:04:43 AM »
Have a wonderful trip, Pat!

admiring our feathered friends

Indeed, I would enjoy admiring the feathered fiends - preferably well cooked and on my plate!!  >:D

Hobbit, my husband is none too keen on flying so am going to either get him drunk or drugged - or both!!  >:D  Thank goodness for Eurostar, eh?!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 03:53:20 AM »

I wish I wasn't terrified of flying :( I last flew when I was 15 (about a 100 years ago!) and vowed it would be the last time.  I am scared of heights and think it's all linked in. 

I'm no psychologist, but I don't think fear of heights and fear of flying are the same thing. I don't like heights - I can just about use a stepladder to change a light-bulb - but have no problems in aircraft. I think I read somewhere that 'fear of flying = fear of being in the confined space of an aircraft = claustrophobia'.

I also know of people who overcame their fear of flying by studying basic theory of flight and understanding just why it's impossible for aircraft to just fall out of the sky. Just a thought.

Have a great time in Rome, Linda - it's a wonderful place. I threw some coins into the Trevi Fountain when I was there about thirty years ago; doing that is supposed to mean that you will return. I'm still waiting!!

MK

MK

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 06:07:14 AM »
Oh Linda you have conjured up a wonderful image!  I can picture you dragging your poor comatose husband onto a Sleazyjet plane >:D  As you say thank goodness for Eurostar and ICE, TGV and Thalys!  I've been on them all!
What you say is interesting MK - perhaps I ought to do a bit of research.  I have a friend who takes valium and beta blockers.  She's like the Pope - she almost kisses the ground when she lands.  I don't expect he does it out of relief though!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 09:25:38 PM »
mk

I think I read somewhere that 'fear of flying = fear of being in the confined space of an aircraft = claustrophobia'.

That is it exactly.  He says it's not the fear of heights, nor the fear of plummeting out of the sky but the fact that he is in a sealed 'capsule' and not in control. 

Being a (lapsedish?) RC, I am hoping to catch a glimpse of the Pope and give him a cheery wave, Hobbit.  Hubby will be less than impressed though, not a great believer in anything remotely Popish - however, he was impressed when he saw Woody Allen on the Champs Elysees!  Takes all sorts!  >:D

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 05:42:56 AM »
Threeb, you're right, I am camera-shy.  But I took a bunch of pictures that day, and there are even a couple of you on the Brooklyn Bridge.  It was really great getting to meet someone I know only from the 'net.

If only I could win the MegaMillions, I could sponsor a reunion (though I'm not sure that the re part is valid) of the forumites - probably the proper locale would be Melbourne, right, Alan?  Unfortunately, the lottery has not been cooperating.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 07:55:58 AM »
Oh Linda I'm probably with your hubby!  I got very excited a few years ago when I saw Freddie Flintoff at Headingly and got his autograph but although I can respect the pope I wouldn't get carried away at the prospect of seeing him.  When the Queen and Prince Philip made a private visit to Bletchley Park a while ago I stood on the side of the road with a handful of other locals and waved my little Union Jack like a maniac!!  Poor woman probably thought I'd escaped from the local asylum ??? Do hope you get a glimpse of the Pope & give him a cheery wave!
I am not convinced that my fear of flying isn't related to my fear of heights although I get what you and MK are saying about being in a capsule and having no means of escape and not being in control. I am not aware of being claustrophobic but it's possible. I am petrified of cable cars and tall buildings - anything that's more than a few feet off the ground :( :-[ For about 18 years I worked in an 8 storey all glass building.  There was a good subsidised restaurant on the top floor.  I never once plucked up the courage to go up there to eat. Even watching films where people are dangling from tall buildings makes my tummy turn over.  I wish I knew the answer because it's a damned nuisance and very embarrassing

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 09:24:36 AM »
I wish I knew the answer because it's a damned nuisance and very embarrassing

That sounds like my sense of direction! It's completely non-existent and dreadfully embarrassing. One morning a while back I had to ask a pedestrian the way from A to B, a very, very short distance. Later that day, going back from B to A, I couldn't find my way so I had to stop and ask someone again. It turned out to be the same man I'd asked that morning! He gave me a very strange look. Unsurprisingly.  :-[

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 03:04:15 PM »
Thanks, Birdy -- it really was nice to meet an "actual" person who I thought I knew, until I found out, you were even better than the online version. I'm sure it would be the same with lots of our forumites -- like Linda or Alan, Hobbit, Pat, R-M, or others here. I would sure love the idea of a reunion, and Australia would be a dream -- then hop on over to England and Scotland, I've got at least one other friend there from FB who actually had lived in our area some time ago. Let's win that lotto, folks -- c'mon, someone's bound to, if we all play it right!