Author Topic: new word suggestion....  (Read 3702 times)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
new word suggestion....
« on: June 08, 2007, 10:27:01 PM »
Hi Alan,
i know your not there for a few days..but i would have forgotten by then..so..
I was disappointed, nay..annoyed...that 'shingles' wasn't allowed today.
I know it's that thing with plurals...but 'shingles' is a medical word, it is not pluralised...
Shingles is an acute [definately not 'cute'] skin inflamation that occurs along the nervetracks...quite common in older folk, and can be very dangerous for some...
So how about it??
 :angel:
p.s. where's my postcard??

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: new word suggestion....
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 10:41:13 PM »
Hi T - what about minger for the Standard game?  Don't know what made this word pop into my head, although I was thinking about you at the time!!!    ;D ha ha ha ha ha  Sorry mate!   What have you done with bjs?  Was it something that you said?   >:D >:D >:D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 11:43:21 PM »
Yes you minger,
i think minger should go in...it's a very common word these days...i hate it, but there you go...
What definition would you put on it...
A nastier, sluttier, commoner version of a ladette???

Alan..the decision is up to you..!!
 :angel:>:D

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 12:28:18 PM »
T, I agree with you about shingles. Like blues, discussed in another topic, it can be a plural - for example a roofing material. But when people use the word shingles, I think it would most likely be in reference to the disease, where there is no corresponding singular. In fact it is used like a singular noun - "Shingles is very painful." Not "Shingles are very painful."

Minger is a new word to me, but I see it has been defined as UK slang for "an unattractive person; a smelly or ugly person". It's made it into a couple of dictionaries, at least, so it should go into our list. By the way, how is it pronounced girls? One website says the G is hard, but does it rhyme with ringer or linger?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 04:58:38 PM »
Not that I'm sure you'll ever need to use the word, Alan, but minger rhymes with ringer!

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 05:33:08 PM »
Linda, I'm glad you told us that......I've never used the word, and I assumed it rhymed with ginger.....imagine my embarrassment if I pronounced it wrongly in public!   :-[

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 03:11:49 AM »
Hey Binkers..
Good job it doesn't rhyme with ginger....don't know about your fellow countrymen/women..but a minge [rhyming with twinge] is not a nice word either and i wouldn't want to be called either a minger [ringer] or a minger [ginger]...
both derogatory...
i'm sure you are much toooo nice to know either...
 :angel: