Author Topic: 10 letter 4 June MINISTRIES puzzle  (Read 413 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
10 letter 4 June MINISTRIES puzzle
« on: June 05, 2021, 10:54:16 PM »
Imagine my surprise when REISM wasn't allowed! Especially since the meaning of REIST (uncommon) was this:
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: 10 letter 4 June MINISTRIES puzzle
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 07:55:42 AM »
I find this to be the case a lot. I press on the meaning and it leads me down garden paths I’ve learnt not to take!
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 01:25:35 PM »
In another topic there was some discussion of this, and the apparent inconsistency of reist being allowed while reism is not. To cut a longish story short, reist was accepted in the Chihuahua lexicon because of other meanings, and as it happens Wiktionary (the source of the definitions displayed in Chi) is unaware of those meanings.

Reism does not seem to be in any general dictionary other than Wiktionary, not even in the massive OED. In recent times I've been more receptive to admitting extremely rare words. Reism tests this new-found tolerance almost to breaking point. I doubt if any player would have tried the word because of their familiarity with the philosophical writings of Kotarbinski in the 1920s. I checked out a few online glossaries of philosophical terms and none of them included reism. However it is discussed at some length in the online Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, so I presume it's a term familiar to at least some scholars in that discipline.

I will admit reism as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 10:09:04 PM »
Thanks again Alan - I am sure we test your patience more often than is desirable...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)