Author Topic: Surreal  (Read 3705 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Surreal
« on: October 25, 2013, 08:26:11 PM »
When I started playing Chi yesterday, both the standard and ten-letter puzzles were available as new puzzles. I initially played just one word, lunch, in the 10-letter puzzle but then changed to the standard puzzle as I like to do them chronologically.

When I went back to the 10-er, I hit the comma intending to add 'ed' to lunch, but the last word played showed as 'hudbla'. Now I know I'd had a long day, but hudbla? Once I'd manually entered lunched everything was fine. But then, by accident, I typed dunch instead of dunce. Dunch was accepted as a rare word so I clicked on it to see what it meant and ninjawords gave me this:

"noun: a fat hit from a claggy lie." Say what?

Beam me up scotty.

Gaye Christine

• Paronomaniac
  • Johannesburg, South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Surreal
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 08:32:13 PM »
We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto  ;D ;D

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 11:19:48 PM »
'A fat hit from a claggy lie' sounds like the sort of English that you might see on a Japanese t-shirt - the words don't have to mean anything as long as they're in English.
'www.Engrish.com' is a website devoted to examples of such things. If anyone is ever feeling a bit down in the dumps, I guarantee that a few minutes spent on this site will cheer them up.

MK

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 11:32:24 PM »
Thanks, MK. The Indian babies one made me laugh out loud.

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 12:52:52 PM »
'www.Engrish.com' is a website where you can get lost in laughter for hours   ;D
Thanks MK!

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 02:45:25 PM »
Claggy lie:  your golf ball has landed in sticky mud.

Fat hit: your golf club has hit the terrain before hitting the ball, and it is likely (or inevitable) that some soil has come between the face of the club and the ball.

That's the literal definition, but not the only definition.  Things have gone from bad to worse.

- A
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 06:33:41 PM »
re 'dunch = a fat hit from a claggy lie'; it makes perfect sense if you know the reference is to golf; unfortunately Ninjawords fails to mention this;
'claggy' is a word I grew up with in North-east England - anything soft and viscous could be described as claggy - wet sand, mud that was starting to dry out, wet paint, glue that had not quite set etc;
At the same time if you imagine a bumper-to-bumper collision between slow-moving cars, you know exactly what 'dunch' means. Very common in North England and Scotland

MK

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 08:29:56 PM »
Thanks, A. It makes sense now. When I saw the word 'lie', the only interpretation I put on it was that of an untruth; that was no doubt why I couldn't make sense of it at all.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
Related issue:  It's really a pain when you are jockeying for position at the starting line of a regatta, and another boat forces you onto a claggy shoal (sticky mud, usually clay).

It can take a few minutes to dislodge, but even then you have clay on your hull (not the best for making speed).  This is dirty pool, no way to win an honest competition.

- A
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)