Author Topic: Snow....?  (Read 13611 times)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
Re: Snow....?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »
RM, What's the weather in DC land?

Here in Roanoke we just got clobbered.

- A
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 11:35:42 AM »
RM, What's the weather in DC land?

Here in Roanoke we just got clobbered.

- A

Eh, I suppose one could say we got clobbered. So far we have gotten 11 inches of snow as measured by RF's yardstick, followed by sleet. It's not over yet, so final report is pending. The snow has resumed as of about 5 p.m. Temperature in the low 30's (F). It doesn't seem as bad as some storms we have had in the past. The street in front of our house was plowed overnight, and in the afternoon we could see some bare pavement in spots. RF got our sidewalks and important parts of the driveway shoveled in fairly good order. No mail or newspaper delivery. Inside the Beltway and environs shuts down when snow is predicted to begin in the overnight or early morning hours, so it's been a big holiday for most who can't work from home. I have not heard about any massive power outages or traffic tie-ups. The airport was able to reopen late this afternoon. The larder is stocked and we have power, heat, and Internet access, so life is good in the Rogue household.

Update: In the afternoon people started going out and about. Now that it is dark, I have heard that traffic conditions have deteriorated: slippery roads, accidents, tie-ups. So glad we didn't have to go out!.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:27:31 PM by rogue_mother »
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 12:29:02 PM »
I measured 15 inches at about 9:00 this morning, then we got another foot.

Most streets are not plowed, but I could probably get out if I had to.

Carpe digitus.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 12:39:51 PM »
I measured 15 inches at about 9:00 this morning, then we got another foot.

I don't think we'll get close to that. We might end up with 15 inches. The storm came from the south, so maybe it ran out of snow a little before it got here. I have heard reports of thunder snow, but I haven't witnessed any for this storm (yet).

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 12:51:10 AM »
Rather odd . . . I measured 15 inches at 9:00 when we shoveled the sidewalk.  By that afternoon we had an additional 12 inches on the sidewalk we had shoveled.  However, the total depth was less than 27 inches (closer to 25).  Maybe the weight of the newer snow compressed the underlying layers?
Carpe digitus.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 01:11:58 AM »
Maybe the weight of the newer snow compressed the underlying layers?

That definitely happens. It's one reason RF starts shovelling as soon as possible; it's the same amount of snow later on, but it's less dense right at the beginning.

We had only a small layer of snow in the second wave, followed by some sleet. The result is that our snow has a crunchy layer on it. The streets are undoubtedly extra slick this morning. And more snow tomorrow, they say.

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 08:19:43 AM »
Similar to TRex, it feels like the snow is never ending here. Luckily, we have not had a whole foot or two feet dumped on us at once, though. It feels like every few days we get another couple of inches. And yes, I am also tired of the sub-zero temperatures. I am so excited that it looks like next week our temperatures are actually supposed to get up in the 50s!! Hopefully then some of this snow can melt.

nineoaks

• Word-meister
  • Florence, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
Dear Forumites:

In the middle of a serious drought, all this precipitation talk is making me wonder if you could send us some... ???

longingly,

nineoaks

(I know I should be careful of what I wish for, but...)

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 11:57:03 AM »
In the New York metropolitan area, we are having snow similar to that described by Rogue Mother in the Washington DC area.

The entire southeast and northeast of the USA is getting slammed by snowstorm after snowstorm.  Many areas have been subjected to ice which has taken down trees with resultant power outages.  I remember a winter (I believe it was 1996) where we had a similar barrage of snowstorms.

The weather in the USA has been unbelievably extreme this winter.  The entire middle section of the country has had a brutally cold winter with very extreme wind chill values.  At some points, I believe it was colder in the midwest than it was in Alaska at the same time.

There is a drought in the state of California the severity of which has not been experienced for a great deal of time.  It appears there will be severe water shortages with stringent water usage restrictions.

It seems that there are other extreme weather patterns this winter.  All of southern England has been subject to so much rain that there is nowhere for the water to go and there has been unprecedented flooding.  Our television today pictured Prince William and Prince Harry helping to sandbag sodden areas.  We are seeing pictures of the southwestern portion of England being battered by a very angry Atlantic Ocean.

At the same time, the southern hemisphere has not been spared.  We've seen pictures of massive fires in Australia along with extremely high temperatures.

The leads me to ask:  "What's going on?"

Rosella

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »
Hello formumites

Reading Alonzo Quixote's post reminded me that I had read that the temperatures in America / Canada were as cold as the Antarctic coast recently. Checking that my memory was correct, I found a BBC report dated the 8 January 2014.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25647963

The report also stated "But it was Embarrass, Minnesota, that experienced the lowest temperature in the nation on Tuesday: -37C (-35F).

That was colder than readings recently recorded on the Red Planet by the Mars Rover."

Yes, we've massive fires and extremely high temperatures at the moment in Australia, flooding in Adelaide which had had days of above 40C temperatures and currently water restrictions are in place in NSW.

"What's going on?" If you take notice of Australian politicians - global warming!

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 01:13:21 PM »
Well, climate change anyway.  Overall warming of the planet continues even if local (weather) conditions don't.  In any case, global warming will lead to more extreme weather events.
Stevens Point, WI

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 02:31:42 PM »
Nineoaks, if I could send you some I surely would.

Some of my friends who live on the mountainsides have reported a little over 5 feet (call it two meters).

AQ, I do remember 1996.  That was gruesome.  I volunteered for emergency transport, and was one of the few who did not get stuck.  When people need dialysis, or when surgeons are needed for emergencies, or when home health care nurses need to be there to administer medications on schedule, we must all pull together to make it work.

No, it's not all about having a 4WD vehicle (although that does help).  It has much to do with preparedness, and it has much to do with knowing what not to do in bad conditions.

- A
Carpe digitus.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 02:52:43 PM »
Several months ago, the climate scientists began reporting that, although the rate of increase of average global air temperature had slowed, the oceans were absorbing more heat than ever. (I don't recall if they knew why.)

I know that for North America, the abnormally warm Pacific (as in oceans absorbing more heat) caused the jetstream to move unusually far north of the Pacific Ocean — which resulted in unusually warm temperatures in Alaska and the Pacific coast of North America, storm systems being steered further north of California and Oregon (resulting in extreme and exceptional drought), forcing the polar vortex further south than normal in the centre of North America — the warm air in Alaska pushing into the polar vortex meant it had to go somewhere (resulting in unusually cold and snowy weather in the Midwest), and increasing the number of storm systems moving up the east coast of North America along the periphery of the polar vortex.

I don't know, but suspect all these changes have a knock on effect leading to the storms battering the British Isles.

Which makes me wonder: if the Pacific continues to absorb heat (and it is a much larger body of water than the Atlantic) will these changes become more the norm, particularly when there is neither an El Niño or La Niña event (as is the case this year)?

Not a pleasant thought.

Gaye Christine

• Paronomaniac
  • Johannesburg, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 06:50:55 PM »
Hello formumites

Amongst all this terribly depressing talk of global warming - welcome to the forum, Rosella!!

nineoaks

• Word-meister
  • Florence, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2014, 04:38:09 AM »
Dear a-non:

Thank you so much for your generous thought!

Last year's Rim Fire came very close to our house; we are hoping for no repeat this year. In California, the official fire season used to be just a few summer months. It has now increased to most of the year. We are on severe water use restrictions, but since my husband and I don't use much in normal times this doesn't affect us. I worry about the animals that suffer in times like this. Drought and fire cause much disruption, danger and death to them.

Would that all beings could be free from suffering.

nineoaks