Author Topic: Bink's the bride!  (Read 84908 times)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Bink's the bride!
« Reply #270 on: January 02, 2008, 12:42:32 AM »
I will tell a scary tale here about the dangers of fireworks, from first-hand experience I was too rattled last nite to relate.

As I was driving home, looking forward to a cozy evening by the fire, and the traditional Texas new years meal of black-eyed peas, ham-hocks and corn bread, and was coming up the hill just a wee bit from our house, I see a large and frightening patch of scorched earth, and several streams of fire spreading quickly!!! No fire trucks in sight, but a sheriff's deputy and precinct judge who's a neighbor standing and watching in trepidation.

Taking out my reporter's notebook and camera, I began to record the proceedings. Luckily, within minutes, the firemen arrived and began fighting the pockets, as the flames came dangerously close to several cedar brakes. My friend from a rival paper was on scene as a fireman, and I was glad to see him there, as well as several others I knew. Luckily, it was extinguished ... after nightfall, we went out again to see if things were calm, as the winds had picked up during the evening.

There were just a few bursts of local kids shooting some fireworks, but I think that the sight of several scorched acres of land, so close to becoming a major catastrophe, sobered a lot of folks in the neighborhood, thank the Lord! But I'll tell you, it was very very dramatic for me. I even scorched my own shoes, trying to stomp out a few flareups, it made me so nervous.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 02, 2008, 12:44:13 AM »
What a hero you are threeb...

The first rule..never put yourself in danger...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 02, 2008, 12:45:33 AM »
How frightening for you, mate.  At least all turned out okay and you were on hand to record the proceedings ... what an intrepid reporter you are!!  >:D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 02, 2008, 12:47:03 AM »
They were very wee bits of flame ... and yes, thanks for you concern, T, but mostly I stood back and let the fireman do their job.

Not so intrepid ... just very lucky -- and tremendously relieved!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 02, 2008, 12:48:17 AM »
A 'Superwoman' in the making..
I hope you don't wear your pants outside of your trousers threeb...it's not an attractive look, and did nothing for Clark Kent!!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 02, 2008, 12:49:31 AM »
NEVER!  >:D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 11, 2008, 08:33:30 PM »
HI THERE BINX...

How the  >:D are you mate? We miss you mate....

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 08, 2008, 08:34:48 PM »
Good moaning, mate, long time since we were online at the same time.  How the devil are you?  Still striving to be a SuperHag I trust?!
Glorious day here ... should be sitting in the sun on my day off but have loads of ironing to do and loads of transcription work to do ... really not motivated to do either ... I am a lazy little hag today!!  What you up to?  >:D

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 08, 2008, 09:11:29 PM »
Hello Linda , my long-lost lovely haggish helpmeet. (well, you try to find another H word, then!) Are you talking to me ? Are you talking to me ? Do I sound like him yet ?

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 08, 2008, 09:14:53 PM »
Perfect imitation, mate!! 

Having a hellishly, haggish, hard working, hot and humid day ... housework (plenty of Hs there) beckoning but am doing my best to ignore it ... hot iron on the go, washing blowing gaily in the breeze, VCW's work staring at me as if to say 'I won't go away, you know, however hard you try and ignore me!'  >:D

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 08, 2008, 09:22:04 PM »
I'm totally exhausted too, though in my case it's because I've been a horse, a bear, a baby bird, a scary monster, etc, etc. All involve crawling on the floor for some reason, and usually being jumped on from a great height. Still, a great day up intil 4p.m, when Holly was suddenly, gloriously and colourfully sick all over me, herself and Simon. (he was unfortunately sitting on my knee at the same time.) Holly understandably started to howl, then so did Simon, either in protest at being covered in vomit, or in sympathy, maybe.  Oh joy!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 08, 2008, 09:24:21 PM »
Oh the joys of being a grandparent, eh?!  Baby bird?  How did you manage that one?!!  >:D

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 08, 2008, 09:27:18 PM »
I used my Stanislavsky method, naturally. One searches deep within one's psyche, to fine one's essential birdness. Failing that.....flap your arms and squawk. Sorry.....this subject is probably making you feel jittery !

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 08, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
I don't think I have an inner b**d ... inner cat, more like!!  >:D

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 08, 2008, 10:00:54 PM »
sort of slinky, lithe and supple, I suppose ??