Author Topic: Sebum  (Read 4049 times)

Gaye Christine

• Paronomaniac
  • Johannesburg, South Africa
    • View Profile
Sebum
« on: August 06, 2013, 04:42:41 PM »
This was in the submerged puzzle, but as rare.  I would consider it as common.  Anyone else?

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: Sebum
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 04:54:11 PM »
Like most non-medical people, I've acquired a smattering of medical terminology over the years, sometimes from crosswords and word games. I actually knew the adjective 'sebaceous' (gland, cyst), but I didn't (until now) know the noun that it came from.
Common? For me, probably not.

MK

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 06:45:22 PM »
It's always hard to judge from personal knowledge: any word that we know ourselves we consider to be common, but like you, GC, I was surprised that it was rare.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 12:26:30 AM »
I'm in the same situation as MK: knew sebaceous (but would not regard as common), unfamiliar with sebum.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 12:34:15 AM »
Although I know both sebum and sebaceous, I would not consider them to be common here in the US.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 09:36:40 AM »
It's always hard to judge from personal knowledge: any word that we know ourselves we consider to be common, but like you, GC, I was surprised that it was rare.
And that, in my opinion, is why the game should not have rare or common word categories. It is a frequent source of frustration for me when I'm playing Chihuahua.

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 02:14:36 PM »
My apologies to Pat as I've somehow changed my post to reflect it as her quote. The first line is Pat's quote the rest is my submission.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 08:24:49 PM »
And that, in my opinion, is why the game should not have rare or common word categories. It is a frequent source of frustration for me when I'm playing Chihuahua.

But if that was the case, Tom, rosettes would be as rare as hen's teeth. I'd much rather suffer the occasional frustration at a word being 'incorrectly' classified than play in the absolute certainty that I'll never get a rosette, or indeed even get within javelin-throwing distance of one.

Gaye Christine

• Paronomaniac
  • Johannesburg, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 11:01:22 PM »
But if that was the case, Tom, rosettes would be as rare as hen's teeth. I'd much rather suffer the occasional frustration at a word being 'incorrectly' classified than play in the absolute certainty that I'll never get a rosette, or indeed even get within javelin-throwing distance of one.

I have to agree, Pat.  How many of us get anywhere near all the possible words?  I think this discussion has
happened before.

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 08:47:49 AM »

[/quote]

I have to agree, Pat.  How many of us get anywhere near all the possible words?  I think this discussion has
happened before.
[/quote]

For me, it is not a matter of getting close to all the possible words - I'm in awe of those who do - but rather the frustration of being told that a certain word, which is commonplace to me (and not an obscure word by any means) is somehow 'rare'. For example 'medial' 'rort' 'ictal' - I could go on. Anyone in the medical fraternity (and I suggest that is a multitude - the fastest growing sector is health) immediately will recognise 'medial' and 'ictal' as everyday words, and any Australian (23million of us and AW I assume is one, or at least resides here) has a very clear understanding of 'rort'. I just wonder if there is another way to score the game that could be more satisfying, 'tis all?