Author Topic: Congratulations Andy Murray  (Read 7864 times)

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Congratulations Andy Murray
« on: July 08, 2013, 07:51:51 PM »
That is all.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: Congratulations Andy Murray
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
Yes, well done. Can we also congratulate the British (and Irish) lions, without antagonizing Oz, of course? Not a bad weekend for British sport. It doesn't happen very often.

mk

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 10:22:42 PM »
Well, as you may or may not know, I am no fan of Andy Murray and his entourage (i.e. his mother) but he played an absolute blinder and deserved his win.  I have no doubt that he will soon become Sir Andy!   I watched him on the news this morning and from the expression on his face and his monotone voice you'd almost think he'd lost the match - dour Scot, indeed!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 12:31:09 AM »
I'm with you Linda!  I'm no fan of Andy Murray either but he did deserve his win.  My problem is that he is "Scottish" rather than "British".  After Scotland got knocked out of a previous world cup when asked what team he would be supporting his response was "any team as long as it's not England"  Will he have to give his knighthood back when Scotland get their independence?  >:D

MK you are spot on - what a wonderful win for the Lions :-) Just a shame I was working and couldn't watch it.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 02:22:45 AM »
I'm afraid I'm one of the 'anyone-but-Murray' brigade (just as he's 'anyone-but-England') and was cheering on Djokovic.

What's with the constant panning to shots of both their girlfriends in the crowd? If both women wore the same clothes you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between them. And who but David Cameron (and Gerard Butler, who was obviously desperate to be noticed) would wear a suit and tie to a scorching hot finals afternoon?

Wimbledon? Bah humbug!

Hey Linda, what did you think of the Spanish (I think) chap, don't know his name, lovely mop of thick black hair, who got knocked out in the 1/4 or 1/2 finals (can't remember who by. You can see I'm a real fan). Did he help staunch your weeping heart at the loss of Rafa?

P.S. And now they're saying no one deserves a knighthood more than Murray. Jeez! I would imagine that thousands of people deserve one more than he does.

P.P.S I see you say 'when' Scotland gets its independence, Hobbit, not 'if'. Are you that positive?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 03:52:43 AM by pat »

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 08:38:51 AM »
After Scotland got knocked out of a previous world cup when asked what team he would be supporting his response was "any team as long as it's not England"  A stolen quote... A friend here has an extremely faded forty year old t-shirt with the legend

I support the All Blacks
or
any team playing Australia

Oh for the comfortable confidence and rapport with the media that the personality greats like Rafa and the Williams sisters have. Agreed that Murray has the likeability of a haggis.
Marion Bartoli was so gracious after her win, and her comments to the rather tearful Sabine Lisicki were kind, encouraging and empathetic, and made everyone warm to her.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 10:34:17 PM »
I can't think who you mean, Pat, so he obviously made no impact on me!  The loss of Rafa was a bit of a blow to say the least but there's always the US Open to look forward to!

Even Andy Murray doesn't feel he deserves a knighthood but said he would accept it if offered! - done deal I would imagine!

What a prat David Cameron looked in his suit and tie on a sweltering hot day - surely he could have taken his jacket off at least.  Still, I suppose he was never going to turn up in shorts, t shirt and a baseball cap!  >:D

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 02:17:54 AM »
Just checked it out, Linda - it was Fernando Verdasco, knocked out by Murray! He had a lovely beaming smile for Murray at the end - a knack that Murray should learn!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 06:06:54 AM »
Hi Pat

Only just seen both your replies (been too busy at work to join in earlier in the week :'(!)
You are so spot on as usual and you always make me laugh :)

Djokovic is such a wonderful gentleman.  At the end of his games (even after losing the final) he took loads of time to sign autographs and pose for pictures. I enjoyed his interviews as well - very gracious and humorous.  Something Murray could do with lessons in.

I am far from positive about Scotland getting independence. Wishful thinking!  The majority will probably decide they have more to lose and vote to stay in the UK.  I did see a picture of the ghastly Alec (sorry or is it Alex? can't remember ???) Salmond with his Scottish flag at Wimbledon.

You & Linda are both absolutely right about David Cameron & the suit & tie.  Not quite as bad as looking at Scrawny (sorry Posh >:D) Spices's miserable fizog last year.  Did I spell fizog right or should it be fizzog??

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 06:43:32 AM »
I spell it fizzog myself. (I wonder if it's allowed in Chi?)

Your renaming of Posh Spice reminded me of an article I once wrote for thespoof.com. I renamed all of them as Old, Anorexic, Fat, Twee and Gobby.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 06:27:30 PM »
Very excellent Pat!
Doubt if Alan would allow fizzog! Though even if he did he would probably be struggling to find a 9 or 10 letter word with more than one z!
Off to Colmar in Alsace next week for my holidays hurrah!  Can't wait to tunnel out of work :-C

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 10:20:17 PM »
Fernando is fairly cute but not up to Rafa's standard, Pat!

I am off on holiday soon, too, Hobbit - going to Bruges and, like you, can't wait to escape work for a while.  Why are so many people buying and selling houses and making wills - so much work on at the moment have hardly time to drink my coffee!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 11:10:48 PM »
Oh Linda why are people so inconsiderate >:D We must have x-rayed the entire population of Milton Keynes in the last week! So many stubbed toes and twisted ankles I've lost count! One day, during the course of a couple of hours, we had 3 patients who had fallen on their face! Do you think there's something in the water?!
Do have a wonderful hol and enjoy the break.  We'll be back at the coal face before we know it!

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 12:23:04 AM »
Hobbit and Linda - I hope you both have great holidays. I hope you find weather like we've been having the last few days.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 04:02:05 AM »
Thanks, Pat, not going just yet but am gearing up for it! 

I know, Hobbit, people are just so very inconsiderate actually expecting me to do some work whilst I am actually at work!  Madness!!  >:D