Author Topic: Ghee  (Read 3840 times)

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Ghee
« on: March 04, 2013, 11:28:41 AM »
Scene:  Yesterday's standard puzzle.  Morbius needs one more common word for a rosette.  He sees ghee and thinks "Yes!  One rosette coming up!"  He plays it - it comes up as rare.  Expletives uttered.  He fails to find the final word.  Misses rosette.  More expletives uttered.

Most people have heard of ghee, haven't they?  Shouldn't it be common?

Valerie

Re: Ghee
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 02:07:19 PM »
Oh dear, poor Morbius, I do sympathise.  Being a cook, I certainly have heard of ghee.  Some words which I would regard as common annoyingly end up being rare and, like you, I utter many profanities, particularly when there's a rosette in the offing.  The word which gave me my rosette today was so darn common that I turned the air blue because I took so long to find it.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 07:53:38 PM »

Most people have heard of ghee, haven't they?  Shouldn't it be common?

Here's the deal: I agree with you that 'ghee' should be common, if you'll agree with me that 'casein' should be common.

MK

Do people still use ghee? Maybe just those who don't worry about their cholesterol levels?

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »
Do people still use ghee? Maybe just those who don't worry about their cholesterol levels?

Maybe it's not as bad as you think:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-2213986/A-spoon-ghee-health-Poses-danger-cardiac-health-helps-prevent-cancer.html

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 09:34:49 PM »
OK it's a deal, MK.  Casein should definitely be common.

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 12:17:01 PM »
I've heard of ghee, but I've been to India and read many books on India.

ada

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 02:00:42 PM »
I would give equal rating to casein and ghee.  I used to use ghee when cooking
authentic Indian recipes.  It doesn't burn when heated like ordinary butter. 
The words both sound common to me.  Maybe it is an age thing.  ADA

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »
If ghee had been classified as common, Morbius would have been looking for two common words, discovered one and still been a word short of a rosette!

I don't always agree with the classification and try to limit my requests for changes to the words classified as common that I think are far from common (even if I happen to find them in a puzzle). I think it much worse to have an uncommon word classified as common than the other way around. There will always be words which are not terribly obscure that some players will think are common and others will think shouldn't qualify for that status. There is no way Alan will be able to please everyone.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 08:39:58 PM »
If ghee had been classified as common, Morbius would have been looking for two common words, discovered one and still been a word short of a rosette!

Exactly what I pointed out in the 'Casein' thread!

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 10:39:09 PM »
Yes TRex, that's true.  My argument is that I was so discombobulated by the alleged rareness of ghee, that I failed to see the final common word (which was retie, a word I usually get).  ;)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 04:36:31 PM »
Though I was not sure exactly what it was, I learned the word ghee as a kid reading Kipling's Kim - all I knew was that it was edible.  How long ago that was is classified information.