Author Topic: Idea for new Chihuahua feature  (Read 16346 times)

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Idea for new Chihuahua feature
« on: February 09, 2013, 12:47:29 PM »
I thought of an idea I'd like to see in Chihuahua.  I know this is Alan's pet, and I know nothing about coding so I don't know how much work it would be, but I thought I'd throw this out there anyway, with the usual (a) reservations that Alan's final word on any Chihuahuania should be the final word, period; and (b) gratitude for all the wonderful things Alan does on this amazing site.  That said...

Would anyone else be interested in the following (optional) feature?  What if you could see on the word list what words you have guessed in that game and were NOT allowed - perhaps in italic, red font, and/or strikethrough?  Or perhaps even in a separate, smaller list below?  I know I would love to have a visual reminder of what I've tried; it would help me in the long term, as I'm a visual learner, and also in the short term in case I make an early-senility blip and try the same doomed word again a few hours later.  Anyone else thought about this, or would like to see it?

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for new Chihuahua feature
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 04:57:15 PM »
I must admit that I do sometimes play the same wrong words more than once in the same game, so it would certainly help in that regard, and hence, also help keep my hit rate up (especially useful on the Challenge puzzle).  I'm also a visual learner, so it would probably also help me to not make the same mistakes in other games (there are some non-words that, for some reason, I keep trying over and over again).  However, I must also admit that I hate being reminded of my mistakes!  Still, it's worth considering if it's technically possible and Alan has the time to do it.       

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 11:42:34 AM »
It's an idea worth considering. I'd definitely want to make it an optional feature rather than something automatically displayed. I think the puzzle display is very busy as it is - probably a bit daunting for a first-time visitor. Of course adding a new option requires a new button on the screen, which adds to the visual clutter anyway.

If the puzzle is going to keep a record of all the failed words, it would be possible to present a different message if an unrecognised word is attempted again ("Sorry, X still not known" - or perhaps something less sarcastic!). It would also be possible to leave the hit rate unaffected by any such re-submissions.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 11:48:01 AM »
If the puzzle is going to keep a record of all the failed words, it would be possible to present a different message if an unrecognised word is attempted again ("Sorry, X still not known" - or perhaps something less sarcastic!).

Nah ..... something like:
Hey stupid, that wasn't a word when you tried it earlier! You will now lose all the words you already entered and will have to start over!
 >:D

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 08:01:19 PM »

New Chihuahua features?  I think there should be a warning saying "Are you sure you want to play 'nagfluenim' ?" when you've been using the shuffle key and you've pressed 'submit' instead of 'clear'.....................

;D
MK

ada

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 10:04:16 PM »
Rats, Mkenuk.  You beat me to it.
ADA

Valerie

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:30:32 AM »
Oh good grief ... how many times have I also done that, mkenuk. Thank goodness I'm not the only one!  Alan must despair at all our "improvement" suggestions!

cb

• Linguissimo
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 08:03:07 PM »
Valerie and mkenuk, you are not alone!  And I LOVE the suggestion of Chi sarkily pointing out "Sorry, X still not known" - perhaps there should be a version (specially for me!?) that says "That's the 5th time you've tried it this game, and X still not known..."
cb

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »
Not that fond of snarky or sarcastic machine responses, but if I WERE:
"Nope, still haven't changed my mind about that word.  Want to try again?" :-R
Stevens Point, WI

Gaye Christine

• Paronomaniac
  • Johannesburg, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 03:32:28 PM »
How about Alan gets all genius on us and puts in a feature whereby once a player has entered a word which is rejected, then if they play it again (same game or in the future) it simply won't play.

He could also supply bottles and nappies ...  ;D

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 07:21:38 PM »

He could also supply bottles and nappies ...  ;D

Heh heh. My house would be littered with them!