Author Topic: the vs the  (Read 8326 times)

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
the vs the
« on: January 28, 2013, 09:41:47 AM »
My understanding of the pronunciation of the word 'the' is: if it precedes a consanant it should be pronounced 'thu' but if it precedes a vowel (or vowel sound like 'h' in some cases) then it should sound 'thee'. Thus, 'thu' man and 'thee' ugly man. Any comments? Whilst on the topic of the 'article', a similar situation with 'a' vs 'an'. 'A' before a consonant, 'an' before a vowel. A man, an ugly man. More and more 'thee' and 'an' seems to be losing favour.

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: the vs the
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 03:00:15 PM »
My understanding from reading a lot of linguistic data is that NO ONE talks like that.  They make think they do, but they don't.  Very very few people have a rule about saying 'ay' rather that 'uh' for a and 'thee' rather than 'thu' for the, and if they do, they don't follow it.  Most people say whatever is quickest and least stilted to get their meaning across, and that's thu and uh.  When people are saying 'thee ugly man,' they're generally conscious of it and doing it on purpose.  When they forget and talk naturally, they say 'thu ugly man.'

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 06:56:51 PM »
It's been more than forty years since I studied phonetics, but from what I can remember it's true that most, if not all, native speakers of English pronounce the definite article ('the') in different ways depending on whether the next sound is a vowel or a consonant. The actual sounds produced vary from dialect to dialect (and can't be shown accurately without using the symbols of the International Phonetic Alphabet), but again (in very general terms) the tendency is to put a 'y' sound between 'the' and a following vowel. To take Ensiform's example try saying 'the ugly man and the very ugly man'. If you are a native speaker, you should be able to hear a difference between your pronunciation of the two definite articles.
Remember also that spelling is not always a guide to whether a word starts with a vowel. 'Unit', 'ubiquitous' and 'eunuch' do not start with a vowel, but 'hour' and 'honorary' do, despite the way they're spelled.

MK

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 02:49:00 AM »
I think I always say "thu" and never "thee".

Also: I do say "a" before a consonant sound and "an" before a vowel sound. But I think I switch back and forth between "ay" and "uh" for the letter a, as enisform mentions. Although I probably say "uh" more than I say "ay".

There. Could I have worded a more-confusing response if I'd tried? I don't think so.  >:D

Gaye Christine

• Paronomaniac
  • Johannesburg, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 03:36:39 AM »
Anonsi ... uhmm ... what??  ;D

I have actually been listening to myself all day and I am quite distinct with thu before consonants
and thee before vowels (not on purpose, Enisform).

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 06:41:18 AM »
I am too, Gaye Christine, so, ensiform, at least 2 people do speak like that! But I think it is because of what is quickest and easiest, as you say, not to follow a rule. Sometimes 'thee' is easier, sometimes 'thu'... 'Thu end' really does not roll off the tongue at all! and would only work with a dramatic pause. Now that would be an affectation, but quite fun!  :)

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 10:37:56 AM »
I have actually been listening to myself all day and I am quite distinct with thu before consonants

Well, quite.  I think the "listening to myself" there is key.  Studies show that people who listen to themselves when they've been recorded realize just how often they do not say "thee."  Indeed, a person who alwyas says "thee" and "ay" would sound stilted, almost insanely so.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 02:41:20 PM »
Listen to Frank Sinatra singing the first line of 'My Way'. Sinatra's singing was renowned for many things, among them the clarity of his diction. I defy anyone to say that his pronunciation of 'the' in the phrase 'the end is near' is the same as his pronunciation of 'the' in 'the final curtain'. Whatever the vowel is in the former phrase, it is most certainly not schwa, which is the standard vowel in the unstressed pronunciation of 'a', 'an' and pre-consonantal 'the'.

Sorry to sound a bit technical, but I think 'schwa' is allowed as common in Chi!

MK

Gaye Christine

• Paronomaniac
  • Johannesburg, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 02:47:24 PM »

Well, quite.  I think the "listening to myself" there is key.  Studies show that people who listen to themselves when they've been recorded realize just how often they do not say "thee."  Indeed, a person who alwyas says "thee" and "ay" would sound stilted, almost insanely so.

I disagree.  Try saying "thu elephant" - totally clumsy, takes far too long to say.  I talk quickly so "thee elephant" is far quicker to say.  I don't talk like that to be "correct" (I had actually never even heard the "rule" before Tom's post) it is just quicker and easier to me.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 05:00:48 AM »
Have to agree with Gaye Christine - I think I always use the distinctions, but it's not because of any "rule" - just the ("thuh") way the words trip off the tongue.  But an exception to the "rule" about before thee before vowels would be words starting with a long e - I'm sure I'd say "thuh easy way or "the wind is coming from thuh east."

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 12:35:25 AM »
DO what???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 12:57:28 PM »
The "rule" is really just an explanation of how we speak because it's the easiest way. So most of us follow this way of speaking because it is convenient.
 Birdy your "exception" is because there is a glottal stop before the 'ee' sound. This is often defined as a consonant sound, so basically the 'ee' sound becomes an honorary consonant.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 03:08:29 PM »
Egads, this is a good topic.

I will have to listen to myself more carefully, but in doing so I might never be able to speak again.

Some of my colleagues will no doubt thank you for this.
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)