Author Topic: What's your occupation?  (Read 30853 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: What's your occupation?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 03:13:40 AM »
No one's work status is "lowly."  All work is noble if you take pride in it.

Indeed.

I'll never forget a conversation I had with a woman whom I had admired when she referred to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra members going on strike 'like common labourers'. I lost respect for her.

But surely even those who disagree with the previous would not characterize a legal background as lowly!

How can you tell the difference between a dead skunk and a dead lawyer in the middle of the road?
There are skid marks near the skunk!  :laugh:

At least in this country, there are many who regard lawyers as quite lowly — but above politicians who are mostly lawyers.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 03:55:47 PM »
I must agree with previous comments that there is no such thing as a lowly profession.  It is what you make of it, and what it allows you to make of yourself in your time off.

Over the years I have come to a different perspective regarding the legal profession, and I must disagree with previous comments.  I have known more than my share of "ambulance chasers" and have had some extreme fun at their expense (they have not returned to our pub), but I must say that the "ambulance chasers" do not represent the entire legal profession.  There is no substitute for having a good lawyer when you need one.

There are lowly individuals in every profession, but that does not make the profession lowly.
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Valerie

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 07:01:19 PM »
I did not say I was a lawyer. But thank you for all your comments which I'll happily pass on to learned friends and associates on the Bench.

chnaya

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 04:23:32 PM »
I am working in a library, but I like the information technology best. For me the students should involve themselves with these fields because the coming days are all about the technology and most of the companies will be dependent upon the technology.

Cleverjen

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 11:51:58 AM »
I worked as a Manager in Child Protection for over 20 years, then my husband and I bought a motel, so now I am a Motel Proprietor in Townsville (in Queensland, Australia).  You should all come and stay if you are ever up this way!

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 12:58:29 PM »
I've been a paramedic for about 30 years and now in the throes of retirement (hence, so much time to play Chi!). It has been a job that has given me enormous satisfaction and sense of purpose and identity. My challenge now is to maintain purpose and identity and I'm sure many who have retired/are retiring will feel that same challenge. Other interests beside work (and even family) are imperative when we get to this stage. I find voluntary work is very rewarding. Incidentally, I don't know what research shows for your prospective countries but in Australia Ambulance Paramedic has, consistently over many years, been voted by the public to be the most trusted and respected profession. Interested to know what that might be where you all come from?

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 04:41:58 PM »

voted by the public to be the most trusted and respected profession. Interested to know what that might be where you all come from?

In general I think the public appreciates the work of those who help to save lives, but who are not necessarily well-paid for it. Ambulance drivers, fire brigades, and, in coastal areas, members of the lifeboat crews. Good luck to all of them.

MK

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 06:33:38 AM »
Nurses top the polls in the UK, with doctors a close second or sometimes top. Though paramedics don't seem to get a separate billing - I'm sure they'd be up there. The only profession to score lower than politicians are car salespeople... Re the earlier comments - lawyers are mid-table, with priests. It's a funny old country.

As for my profession, I'm a higher education / careers adviser in a sixth form at the moment. Have been various other things but mostly linked to education or people in some way. And, I read!! and love cryptic crosswords, word puzzles, playing with words generally.

SharonS

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 01:48:10 PM »
I'm a retired radiologist.

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 06:34:23 PM »
I worked as a Manager in Child Protection for over 20 years, then my husband and I bought a motel, so now I am a Motel Proprietor in Townsville (in Queensland, Australia).  You should all come and stay if you are ever up this way!
I was actually in Townsville in 1991 where I bought my Cattleman's hat that I still have and wear.  Wonderful memories of Australia.
Stevens Point, WI

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 01:42:55 PM »
Is that like a Jackaroo hat?  About 20 years ago an Australian vendor came to town with these awesome hats.  They are absolutely waterproof.  By that I mean you can carry water in them.  Mine has served me well.
Carpe digitus.

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 04:19:46 PM »
The iconic Australian hat is called an akubra and is made of rabbit fur. (Sorry, rabbit lovers, but we have way too many of them here.)

Your super-waterproof version, a non-amos, may be made of oilskin, like the equally iconic Australian coat, the drizabone.

Actually, I think they are both trademarks and need capital letters, so I don't suppose they'll be turning up as common words anytime soon.

Valerie

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 06:11:53 PM »
Quite so, blackrockrose.  Both Akubra and Drizabone are trade marks.  And what wonderful wearables they are.  Unfortunately, the other iconic Ozzie wearable, UGG boots, has had a somewhat harrowing time with its trade mark, losing a famous dispute against the Americans in the mid 2000s.  But, up here in the Blue Mountains of Australia, we have a roadside shed which claims it is the longest established seller of ugg boots in the world (1933).

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 03:10:43 PM »
This is a leather hat, heavily impregnated with some water repelling substance (maybe silicone?).

When I wore it to Plymouth, UK, on a business trip, they had great difficulty believing that some people prefer not to be rained upon.  I thought they were joking, but I came to realize they were not.

I saw many families casually strolling along the promenade, people throwing frisbees for their dogs, young couples snogging, all oblivious to the fact that it was pouring rain and they must have been soaked to the bone.  To each his own.

- A
Carpe digitus.

IronMaiden

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2013, 04:50:18 AM »
I'm 22 and I'm a stay at home mum and I feel inferior reading everyone's comments.
Look at you all, achieving things with your lives.