Author Topic: What's your occupation?  (Read 30836 times)

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
What's your occupation?
« on: January 28, 2013, 05:00:24 AM »
Hello Chi-ers (Chiites? Chimaniacs?  Chi-mpanzees?)

I often wonder what the people on these forums do for a living, and whether there is any slant toward careers that require verbal or writing mastery.  (If anything, I think there may be a prepondernace of computer engineers.)  So I'm asking: what does everyone do?

I'll start: I teach at a private elementary school (all subjects; in the US, generally before the 4th grade, kids stay in one room and take all main subjects from one teacher).

cb

• Linguissimo
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: What's your occupation?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 07:52:55 AM »
I've a notion there are a fair few teachers (current and retired) and a fair few computer bods - engineers and programers, hereabouts.

I combine the two - I'm a high school Computing teacher in Edinburgh.

CB
cb

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 10:01:53 AM »
I'm a university lecturer in human resource management.  I also write - I've written or co-written five books on the subject (currently working on a sixth).

rhino

• Word-meister
  • Sydney, Australia
    • MSN Messenger - rhinoserenity@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 12:48:42 PM »
I am retired but spent the last 16 years of my working life as a Bid Manager, responding to tenders in the IT and business equipment industries, and previously as an Office Administrator, but always with words and word usage as a strong emphasis.
Obsessive rhinophile

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 09:08:04 PM »
I am a legal secretary and former IT tutor.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 05:04:21 AM »
Former librarian in a big city library.  But always a reader, even if much of my reading could not be described as great literature.  And always interested in words.

ada

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 09:11:58 AM »
Registered Nurse.  One invariably absorbs many Latin root words with medical terminology. 
I have had extended interests in music and astronomy as well. 
Reading lots of books helped.  I suspect most Chi members are readers.
ADA

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 02:58:33 PM »
I'm an engineer for a conglomerate.  I cover several fields of engineering.  I specialize in projects that had been considered impossible.  They seem to also like my writing; I have been "requested" to serve as ghost writer for several levels of management, and my writing has also made its way into several US and international regulations.

Hobbies include music and woodworking and sailing and gem cutting and making very bad puns.
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 03:15:55 PM »
I forgot to mention cooking as a hobby.
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 01:50:31 PM »
I am a retired (2 years) Psychology Professor.  Specialized in neurophysiology and psychoactive drugs.  Now I specialize in bridge and golf.
Stevens Point, WI

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 06:01:34 PM »
Graduated with a degree in English and a Diploma in Education in the 1960s. I was a boring old English teacher for 40+ years before retiring to live in Thailand. I still do the odd spot of private tuition, just to keep my hand in, plus a spot of teacher training. Most of my time, however, seems to be given over to Chi!

I like listening to music, especially jazz, and watching films. I like all types of film, but I love the 'films noirs' of the 40s and 50s.

MK
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:33:29 AM by mkenuk »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 03:02:14 AM »
Almost didn't reply to this posting as all your present or previous occupations seem very much more exciting or demanding than mine!  I worked for almost 30 years for the Halifax started as Manager's Secretary when it was a Building Society and ended up as counter supervisor.  I eventually bailed out when I realised I couldn't sell things to people that they didn't want and I never met my targets.  Hard giving up a final salary pension.  Now work at the local hospital in the X-Ray department as a receptionist. :-C
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Valerie

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 10:26:39 AM »
I'm with you, Hobbit.  I figured there were far too many brainiacs for me to admit my lowly status.  Then I thought, what the heck, may as well fess up.  My partner and I, both retired, do Chi every morning over the breakfast table.  What with his degrees in geology, environmental science and business management helped along with my legal background, we actually do okay.  Then I log in to enter our results and am chuffed to receive a star (or more) for finding the correct big word(s).  But when we also receive a rosette, we go leaping tall buildings in a single bound!  But we'll never reach Alonzo status.  Finding the computer's on switch is as technical as it gets in this household.

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »
No one's work status is "lowly."  All work is noble if you take pride in it.  But surely even those who disagree with the previous would not characterize a legal background as lowly!

Valerie

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 07:28:27 PM »
Thank you, ensiform, you are most kind.  I am indeed proud of the work I did.  But all you people on here are just amazing and I feel privileged to be in such awesome company.  Cheers.