Author Topic: Binks  (Read 16522 times)

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
Binks
« on: May 31, 2007, 01:19:21 AM »
Hi Binks.  I've always wondered...is Sheila really your first name?   ???  Also, how many Sheilas do you know?  The stereotype I've always heard in the US is that all females in Oz are named Sheila...even if they're not.

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
Re: Binks
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 06:43:54 AM »
Yes, Anonsi, it really is!  If my parents had known that I would end up in Australia, they might have called me something else. When I first came out, many moons ago, a "sheila" was a very common term, so you can imagine what I went through !  :D Thankfully, it's not heard quite so often these days.   :D :D :D
I don't know any others out here, either............

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 07:41:36 AM »
  Sorry, Anonsi, I didn't make it clear....I was born in England, and Sheila was a fairly popular name at the time. Yeeeuuugh! I've always loathed it!!!!!    >:(

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 09:06:38 AM »
Binks - I personally know two Sheilas but come to think of it they are both English born too!  You think you have problems with your name - some of my friends' kids don't know the original meaning of my name. 
Gaye
   :)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 09:15:37 AM »
Well, you probably already know this, Binkie but when I looked up the name Sheila, apparently is taken from Sila, (Celtic/Gaelic) and means "blind".

YUKKKKKKK. (:P)  I'd hate it too, perhaps. Are there any alternatives that are more pleasing?

Cheers,
3-B

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 09:23:52 AM »
This one's for you, Gaye: MUCH BETTER THAN SHEILA!

The name Gay \gay\ is of Old French origin, and its meaning is "glad, lighthearted". A surname in the Middle Ages. Has declined in usage as a given name due to its general appropriation as a term denoting homosexuality.

Gay has 3 variant forms: Gae, Gai and Gaye.

Baby names that sound like Gay are Kay and Cay.

Gay is a very popular female first name and a very popular surname (source: 1990 U.S. Census)

Cheers,
3-B  ;D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 10:02:04 AM by biggerbirdbrain »

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 10:36:44 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Binks.  My name (Jessica) is fairly common, too, although not as common as Sheila appears to be for Aussies (or, so it seems, those from the UK).

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 11:12:57 AM »
I have the impression not many girls born in Australia are named Sheila - possibly because the word is used colloquially to mean a woman, or girlfriend.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 11:29:45 AM »
That's what I figured, Alan, but it's hard to tell when you've never been somewhere what's the truth, and what's just stereotype. ;)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 05:29:58 PM »
Here you go folks....after a bit of Googling (and thanks for the original query, Anonsi, otherwise I'd probably never have known this!)

In 1828 the Sydney newspaper, the Monitor, reported a street fight that had occurred in Sydney on Saint Patrick’s day.  The report included the comment that following the fight ‘many a piteous Shela stood wiping the gory locks of her Paddy’. This is the earliest written evidence of the use of the Australian word sheila.  The Oxford English Dictionary defines  sheila as ‘a young girl or young woman; agirlfriend. Playfully affectionate and predominantly in male use’. The OED also includes the Irish origin of the word:

It may represent a generic use of the (originally Irish) personal name Sheila, the counterpart of Paddy...in any case, it became assimilated to this at some later stage.

We can detect some uncertainty in the OED commentary on the word sheila; a sense that some information does not fit, that something is missing.  More recently, the author of The Dinkum Dictionary, Susan Butler, is confident that

‘Sheila’ was a common female name in Ireland, used alongside the name ‘Paddy’ to represent the archetypal Irish couple. From this early usage (dating from the 1820s in Britain) ‘Sheila’ came to mean any female, whether Irish or not.  This British use of ‘sheila’ was then transported to the colonies.

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 07:35:46 PM »
i dont actually know any women called sheila, but it is commonly used to mean woman, although probably falling out of use - ie i have a male friend who will  say things like "are you sheilas ready yet" when we're about to go out in a group, but he's about 60 - i dont know any young people who use the expression.
Viz

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 10:55:01 PM »
Huh.  You learn something new every day. :)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 02:24:49 PM »
How goes it, Binkie! Been out scurrying, pooting, and potting new plants? What's the rain doing? Missed you so far, and here it is nearly the witching hour. Hurry and say hi -- I'm fading fast!!!  :angel:

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 02:30:55 PM »
I don't know, Threeb, Binkie may be too tired to chat.  Anonsi and I roped her into a party earlier.  I'm fading , myself.  My amaretto is having its affect.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 02:36:34 PM »
Gone!  I'll bet it was a quickie on her coffee break (or whatever they do in Oz).
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area