Author Topic: tween (?)  (Read 3143 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
tween (?)
« on: December 08, 2012, 09:44:49 PM »
tween: (Allowed as common in yesterday's 'overwinter' 10-letter game)
 Both the dictionaries I have at home (Chambers and COD) show only 'tween, with preceding apostrophe, archaic short form of 'between'. As an abbreviation, this would not normally be allowed in Chi. Maybe there is some other word 'tween' (without apostrophe) which I'm not familiar with, or the apostrophe has been discarded by the English-speaking peoples of the world without telling me? Please enlighten me.
MK ???

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: tween (?)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 01:44:29 AM »
A tween is not an abbreviation of between but refers to a youthful demographic, usually under teenage years, as a cursory Googling shows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tween_%28demographic%29

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tween

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tween

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 08:00:51 AM »
I can easily imagine MK (especially if he has not been around pre-teens in the last ten years or so) would not even think to do an Internet search (cursory or otherwise) for a word the meaning of which he was quite certain.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 12:56:20 PM »
Yes, I'm a little old-fashioned sometimes; I still tend to use a dictionary when I want to find out the meaning of an unfamiliar word; I suppose I should move into at least the twentieth century and start using Google.
I still can't say I've ever come across 'tween' meaning 'pre-adolescent'; I think I've seen 'tweenager' in 'Guardian' articles, and I've also seen 'tweeny' and 'tweenie' although these (at least formerly) had a different meaning - the 'between-floors' maid as in the TV classic 'Upstairs, Downstairs'
Tween. I must use it in conversation at least once today.
MK
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:49:40 AM by mkenuk »

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 01:13:52 AM »
It may be U.S. usage.  I've only seen it relatively recently (last 15-20 years).  My totally unresearched and off-the-top-of-my-head impression is that it may have been coined to describe the group of older children who are wannabe teenagers.  I don't think 10-to-12-year-olds were quite so eager to leave childhood back in the distant past when I was that age.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 03:28:42 PM »
I was surprised by how many examples I found in newspapers of tween, in the sense of a person just younger than their teens. In the paper you mentioned, MK, the Guardian, tween appears much more often than the longer form tweenager. A recent example, from 8 May:

Also firmly in the counter-programming zone is tween dance flick All Stars, a junior spin on the street-dance movie phenomenon.

Many of the articles using the word are about entertainment or fashion. Perhaps (like me) you don't read those sections of the paper much, MK. And it may be that the word is used more frequently in the media than in conversation, being basically a marketing concept.

I found a few examples of tween in fiction. Oddly, many of these examples were from science fiction. There is an old gag that says the Golden Age of Science Fiction is twelve, so perhaps SF authors are writing about tweens because they suspect that is the age group most likely to read their work.

My conclusion is that this word does not quite have the breadth of usage that would justify it remaining common, so I'll switch it to rare.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

cb

• Linguissimo
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 02:18:04 AM »
Not disputing Alan's definition, or decision to change tween to rare, but just thought I would add that the word immediately makes me think of computer animation, and the automatic generation of "in-between" images to create a smoother animation.   Perhaps I've just been teaching Adobe Flash Animation to too many teenagers!
cb