Author Topic: woodworking tech tip  (Read 5145 times)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
woodworking tech tip
« on: December 02, 2012, 04:10:19 PM »
As many of you already know, at this time of the year I try to take some time off to build toys for needy children.  This is a great way to give back to your community, and it is a great way to get into the Real Christmas Spirit.

The best wood joints involve some jointery (e.g. a dado or notch or even just a rabbet) to ensure a solid glue joint and also to ensure proper alignment as the glue sets.  These are not always an option.  There are times when you need to glue one flat face to another, positioned accurately.

Gluing and clamping two smooth pieces can be tricky.  Liquid glue acts as a lubricant.  If your clamp is not perfectly aligned (perfect alignment is difficult to attain), the clamp will exert some degree of lateral (sideways) force.  The wood will shift and slide, and it will be in a different position when the glue sets.

Traditional solutions include a dowel pin between the two pieces (but I do not have a drill press to ensure accurate placement and alignment of the holes) and biscuit joining (requiring equipment more expensive than the drill press).

One could drive finishing nails into the piece (which does ensure proper alignment) but the appearance is somewhat lacking.

This afternoon I came up with an alternate solution.  This ensures proper alignment as the glue is setting, it is invisible in the finished product, and the cost is very close to zero.

Are there any woodworkers out there who might be interested in this?
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: woodworking tech tip
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 07:29:51 AM »
I am in no way a woodworker, but when I have been presented with this task, it is my practice to score, with a sharp knife, both sides of the wood to be glued.  Cutting a shallow criss-cross pattern in the wood helps the pieces fit a bit better if they were previously flat.  Obviously this only works if the finished product doesn't need to look unblemished, as the edges of the scores sometimes show a little.  What is your solution?

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 01:45:45 PM »
In this case, the finished product does need to be absolutely unblemished.  This can also be accomplished on scored wood.  Bring the scored section in a small amount, so that it is concealed underneath the wood being joined.

Scoring the wood can be a very good idea, but sometimes not.  It depends on the nature of the adhesive.  Some adhesives work better with scored wood, some work better with a tight fit.  In general, this practice speaks more to the strength of the finished joint than to the alignment problems while the glue is wet; I have had scored joints slide and reposition themselves after having been clamped.  This is most unfortunate.

My solution:  Drive a fine wire brad about 1/8" (3mm) into the first piece of wood.  Use a pair of diagonal cutters (wire cutters) to trim it to a height of 1/16" (1.5mm) above the wood surface.  Do not use the specialty "flush cutting" wire cutters.  Use the cheaper ones that leave a sharp point on the protruding end of the wire brad.  Apply glue to the wood and squeeze the two pieces together.  If you squeeze it tightly enough to drive the brad into the opposing wood surface, this will hold the wood together while you apply the clamp (an added bonus).

In my case, I need to guard against lateral movement but rotation is not a problem.  If you also need to protect against rotation, use two wire brads.  You will then need to apply twice the force when squeezing the wood together.  You can reduce the force needed by using the finest wire brads available (smallest wire diameter).

In some ways, this is much like driving a nail bidirectionally, from the inside surfaces outward.  This is invisible in the finished product.

:)

PS -
I was not certain any Chi-fans would be interested in this.  The varied background of Chihuahua participants continues to amaze me.

:)
Carpe digitus.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 02:58:19 PM »
I'll probably never have the need to use this, but any kind of information is interesting.  I've always admired the extremely varied knowledge of Mr. Robinson (of the Swiss Family) - not to mention the survival skills of the boy in Hatchet.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 02:57:20 PM »
In my case, this has some degree of practical application.

So far, this is the best batch of toys I have ever donated to charity (and the best batch of toys I have ever made).  The layers of finish are yet to be applied, so it's not yet written in stone, but so far it looks better than the toys in any previous year.

- A
Carpe digitus.

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 09:24:43 AM »
Music!  Cooking!  Woodworking!  Charity drives!  You're a force of nature, a-non!

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 10:17:09 PM »
And so generous of you to take the time to share all your talents with us.

Your annual reminder about your charitable efforts has become as reliable a harbinger of christmas as the first crocus is of spring!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 10:22:03 PM by pat »

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 02:31:10 PM »
Some years the schedule works out, others not so.  The "Toys for Tots" deadline varies from one drop-off site to the next, but as a general rule this is two weeks before Christmas.

Things got wild and crazy at work, so I was not able to apply that last (and most important) coat of finish until this morning, right before I went to work.  I was despondent.  I had missed the deadline, and a few Christmases would be a bit more grim.

At work I did some googling around (while waiting for a process to execute) and found a Toys for Tots drop-off site that is open through some time tomorrow.

As I type this, I have a squadron of toy biplanes ready to wrap tomorrow morning.  Six Christmases might not be quite as grim.   :)
Carpe digitus.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 01:17:40 PM »
You should have seen the Marine's face when I dropped off my (small) load of handmade toys.  His face lit up like a beacon when I unboxed one.

- A
Carpe digitus.

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 04:11:43 AM »
I hope we get to see pictures next year. :)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 02:47:31 PM »
You can see at least some pictures this year.  Not all of the photos turned out well; the glare off of the wood finish made some of the photos unusable.  The  attached PDF files have the better of the photos.

By random chance, the  toy plane I grabbed for the close-up photos was (by far) the worst of the lot.  I was seriously considering not sending that one out, and making it more fodder for the fireplace.  Mrs. A intervened with some words of wisdom.  Even if it does not meet your standards, would it make a child happy?  Would you choose to make fewer children happy?  Ship it.  Send a full squadron.

- A
Carpe digitus.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 03:32:52 PM »
By the way, I did something different this year . . .

The most expensive and troublesome part is the packaging.  Most years, I build the toys and then scurry all over town to find some good looking gift boxes to fit them.  If the package does not look good, if your presentation is lacking, all effort is for naught.

This year I got the gift boxes first, and redesigned the toys to fit them.

This year is also the first batch of toys with a 5 layer wood finish.  In retrospect, this is not necessarily good.  Functionally speaking, I could have done every bit as well with a 4 layer finish.  This continues to be a learning process.

By the way, the second attachment to the previous post is a letter from the elf, primarily to the child.  I wanted to express something of the magic, maybe something that would make children feel good.  These toys are going to those who need them the most.

- A
Carpe digitus.

Gaye Christine

• Paronomaniac
  • Johannesburg, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 08:55:03 PM »
The only attachment I could see was the Elf letter, no aeroplane.

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 06:24:37 AM »
That letter is charming a-non.
Can't wait for you to post a link to the photos  :)