Author Topic: craic  (Read 2329 times)

cb

• Linguissimo
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • View Profile
craic
« on: October 24, 2012, 05:35:22 AM »
craic :  or "crack", is a term for news, gossip, fun, entertainment, and enjoyable conversation, particularly prominent in Ireland and Scotland . It is often used with the definite article – the craic

We do, after all, enjoy a lot of craic on these forums!  Please could it be considered for inclusion (as a rare word, of course).
cb

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: craic
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:43:50 AM »
'craic' is very common in North-east England, where there's a large number of people with Scots or Irish ancestry.
MK

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 11:30:22 AM »
The word was suggested before, way back in 2007. (Strewth, was that really 5 years ago? Where does the time go?)

My answer at the time is here. The situation may have evolved since then, so I'll look into it again, if I ever get through the backlog.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 07:02:02 PM »
Looking in your previous thread, Alan, I note that you said, "In favour of craic, we can note that it is now used a lot in English language publications", which would probably have merited inclusion if the word had been mentioned for the first time recently.

It looks as if you've evolved along with the language over the last 5 years! (and just in case anyone sees that as a derogatory comment, it certainly isn't!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 04:41:43 PM »
Everything comes to she who waits, cb and Linda (who first made the suggestion, over 8 years ago).

Since my earlier researches, the Oxford Dictionary of English and the Collins Dictionary have listed craic as a variant spelling of crack, in the sense of a good time, pleasant talk, etc. I'll take that as sufficient grounds for accepting this word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites