Author Topic: Reset button not helping  (Read 4892 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Reset button not helping
« on: October 15, 2012, 04:31:17 AM »
For nearly 24 hours now, I've been unable to access the Chihuahua puzzles using my primary browser (Firefox). I can get to the site okay, but get the 'Loading puzzle ...' message and no further. (Don't even get to the yellow box.) I've tried the 'Reset' button (which is in the upper right corner) and I've cleared cookies, but the problem remains. Others in this household are having no problems and I can get the puzzle using the Chromium browser.

I can access other games on the lexigame.com site. It doesn't matter whether I'm on the chi.lexigame.com or chi.lexigame.com/fullscreen.html page.

Suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:35:03 AM by TRex »

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
Re: Reset button not helping
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 08:09:55 AM »
The same thing happened to me with my Safari browser about two weeks ago. It seemed like no matter how long I waited, the puzzle was never going to load. A minor inconvenience -- I continued to play in Internet Explorer (versions 7 and 8) on different computers. Eventually the problem sorted itself out, and I have been able to play Chihuahua on my Safari browser for the past three days.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 01:24:22 PM »
Thanks for letting me know about this, TRex. It may lead to fixing up problems that a few people have been experiencing.

I can see some error messages that were logged when you were attempting to load the puzzle. Unfortunately, they don't help me much in understanding what's going on! I'd appreciate it if you tried going to http://chi.lexigame.com/chidebug.html in Firefox. It probably still won't work, but it may give me some more info to work with.

I'm not convinced that the Reset button always does what it's meant to do. At the same time, I'm not sure it would fix your problem, even if it did what it's meant to do. However, you could try going to this link: http://chi.lexigame.com/clear_local_data.html, also in Firefox. Before you do that, make sure you don't have any version of Chihuahua open in another tab or window. You should see a message, "Local data cleared". You can then try going to the Chi page and see if things are any better.

One thing that interested me was you saying the Reset button was in the upper right corner. It's normally under the "Forum Latest" box. Was this box missing, or was the Reset button above it, or alongside it, or what?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 02:24:52 PM »
Thanks for letting me know about this, TRex. It may lead to fixing up problems that a few people have been experiencing.

Happy to be a guinea pig!

I can see some error messages that were logged when you were attempting to load the puzzle. Unfortunately, they don't help me much in understanding what's going on! I'd appreciate it if you tried going to http://chi.lexigame.com/chidebug.html in Firefox. It probably still won't work, but it may give me some more info to work with.

Done. You are correct, it didn't work, but anything I can do to help, just let me know.

I'm not convinced that the Reset button always does what it's meant to do. At the same time, I'm not sure it would fix your problem, even if it did what it's meant to do. However, you could try going to this link: http://chi.lexigame.com/clear_local_data.html, also in Firefox. Before you do that, make sure you don't have any version of Chihuahua open in another tab or window. You should see a message, "Local data cleared". You can then try going to the Chi page and see if things are any better.

I got the message, but when I tried going back to Chihuahua, I had the same thing happen. Then, I went back to the chidebug page in case it might give you different information after clearing local data.

One thing that interested me was you saying the Reset button was in the upper right corner. It's normally under the "Forum Latest" box. Was this box missing, or was the Reset button above it, or alongside it, or what?

The forum section was missing.

I'll keep playing with the Chromium browser for now --- and try to remember to switch between puzzles so my words get saved.... Chromium has a nasty habit of crashing my system.  :(
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 02:29:46 PM by TRex »

Silvia5001

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 09:53:17 PM »
I have been trying to load the puzzles since Saturday, mainly on Safari. Have also tried Firefox and Explorer, alas no success. Suffering withdrawal symptoms...

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 10:55:47 PM »
Hi Silvia. Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your withdrawal symptoms, but thanks for letting me know about your problems. It's unusual for such problems to persist when you change browsers - bad luck for you!

I'm starting to think some of these problems may be due to a new version of a software tool that I installed a few days ago. I did it in an attempt to solve a problem one player was having, but perhaps the result has been to create more problems than it solves.
Alan Walker

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 03:42:56 PM »
TRex, Silvia, and anyone else having trouble getting to the Chihahua puzzles - please try this: http://chi.lexigame.com/chi-test.html. I'll be interested to learn about your experiences with it.
Alan Walker

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 03:09:02 AM »
TRex, Silvia, and anyone else having trouble getting to the Chihahua puzzles - please try this: http://chi.lexigame.com/chi-test.html. I'll be interested to learn about your experiences with it.
Brilliant!

Save for the user name box extending over into the 'Forum Latest', it looked just like the normal screen. I was able to login to the puzzle, but lost the 'Forum Latest' material. The 'Full screen' link did not work. The inability to login using the regular page and the full screen page remains.

But, I can play the game using Firefox!!!! :) :-C    (I can avoid using Chromium and worrying about abrupt crashes!!!)

Thanks, Alan!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
TRex, you should be able to get the same results now on the normal Chi pages, including the Full Screen page. Please let me know if you have any problems.

The user name box poking into the Forum Latest is something I can't explain.
Alan Walker

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 02:29:18 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

It was interesting playing without the full-screen — I had really become used to seeing all my words all the time. I am delighted to have it back. (I did have to use the Reset button to get it to work, but it did work this time.)

Thanks again.