Author Topic: Nettie / Netty  (Read 1849 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Nettie / Netty
« on: September 18, 2012, 09:34:40 PM »
A lovely word  known throughout North-East England - and perhaps further afield - meaning an outside lavatory. Equivalent to Scots 'dunnie' or 'cludgie' and much nicer than the ubiquitous 'bog'.
The usual explanation for its origin is that the 'netty' was where fishermen hung their nets to dry or to be repaired, so 'going to the netty' was a popular euphemism for answering a call of nature.
Another suggestion for its origin is that it is a corruption of French 'nettoyer' = 'to clean'.
Whatever, I wonder if it might just be worth an 'uncommon' rating in Chi?
MK

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Nettie / Netty
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 04:34:28 PM »
Netty, with this lavatory meaning, is in a few dictionaries: Oxford online, Collins, Wiktionary. It can also mean netted, or net-like; or neat, natty. I've also seen it used by an Australian as a diminutive for netball.

An example, cited by the OED, from the Independent in 1992:

Our toilet was an outside netty shared between two or three families, where you sat on a hole and hoped the cat wouldn't jump at your backside.

But I find netty is already accepted in Chi, always has been. Presumably for the adjective meaning net-like, as the plural netties is not allowed. I'll add this plural, but not the alternate spelling of the singular, nettie, as this seems to be seldom used.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites